Saturday, February 03, 2007

Focus



I was so tired by last night. The previous two mornings I had woken up well before my alarm went off. The first time because I kept wondering if I was going to sleep through my alarm and I *had* to be in work promptly for a meeting. Then yesterday morning my friend had said she’d be up and gone before I got up, but I kept wondering if I had heard her leave. I didn’t think I had so kept worrying that she was still asleep (not worried enough to get out of bed and check you understand). In reality I was there for plenty of time for the meeting and in fact was running so early that I went and got a couple of keys cut to kill some time before it started and my friend had overslept but when I finally got up this prompted her to wake up and she was up and out of the house in about 5 minutes!

There’s a chap at work who comes over to speak to me a lot. He’s in his mid-fifties and is just this friendly chap who sees a bit of an ally in me because I am always really friendly to him. We don’t actually do the same work but he sometimes has to come and check things with me and pretty much every day he will come over and speak to me, even if it’s just to tell me that he hasn’t got anything to speak to me about. Someone commented last week that this chap seemed really happy that I now sit much closer to him. Yesterday he came to tell me that he was leaving work (which isn’t really anything to do with me) and was going to the opticians so that he could get his glasses fixed so that he could see my radiant beauty all the more clearly when he is back in the office next week. I told him he would need to make sure he got a very good adjustment to his glasses. When he had gone the person I sit next to said “awwww, he really likes you” and I just laughed. I think he sees me as someone to exchange banter with rather than anything else by the way, but I think people look on with amused interest!

On a Friday I have usually run out of bread so I go to the canteen to eat something, yesterday I had lasagne which was remarkably good, but it came with garlic bread so I felt a bit self-conscious talking to people for the rest of the afternoon. I’ve noticed though that at work they come up with questionable fillings for the jacket potatoes. Often they have hot coleslaw as the filling. It might have bacon or something similar mixed in. Hot coleslaw though- there are a lot of people who can’t stand it cold, let alone heated up. I’m not the greatest fan it has to be said. However, it is preferable to when they serve the potatoes with “mixed meat”. I was foolish enough to try that once. I think it included a bit of Chihuahua and some Pekinese.

8 comments:

Soup said...

[sings] "he loves you, he wants to kiss you... na na nanaaaa na" :)

You sound like just the buddy everyone needs at work - the person that makes you feel cheerier, which is evidently what you are to him. Keep it up :)

Random Reflections said...

Don't make me have to trip you up in the playground.

I think I am sometimes seen as a bit of an oasis from the madness in which we work, but that is more of a reflection on work than on me. I do like to have a bit of a laugh with them though and to make my colleagues laugh.

Anonymous said...

Can you read this?

Olny srmat poelpe can.


cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! FT

Kinga said...

Hello.
I decided to read your whole archive. I apparently have too much time on my hands. I am a little worried though since you seem to be adding more posts a day than I actually manage to read, so I might never finish reading...
Anyway, I read about your trip to Poland and was wondering where is that obscure part of it that you were sent to.

Cadence said...

Chihuahua and Pekinese. Now that's just wrong.
I once ordered a burger with chili topping. It turned out to be chili con carne, not chili sauce. So I got spicy minced beef on my minced beef.... bizarre.

Random Reflections said...

TF - I could read it, but may still not be very smart because initially I read the last line as "I always thought sleeping was important", which whilst true didn't really seem entirely in keeping.

Kinga - you are a glutton for punishment! I had to look it up but it was Bydgoszcz. It's possibly more well known now as RyanAir fly there. Do you know it?

Sort of - There may have been some rodent as well. A burger with chili con carne on top? I guess they worked on the assumption that the customer is always right - even if the waiter got the order wrong in the first place... It's a good job that you like meat! I'll let you know if they add it to the menu options at work.

Kinga said...

Yeah I know it of course. Though I have never been there (and my geopgraphy is so bad I wouldn't even be able to place in on the map). There are two girls at my uni who transferred from Bydgoszcz, and we can't remember their names and we always just call them "girls from Bydgoszcz". Maybe I should've mentioned I am actually Polish AND I live in Poland (which is not obvious, since these days most Polish people live in London). :)

Random Reflections said...

I hadn't really thought about where you come from, but that makes sense now!

Yes there are a lot of Polish people here in the UK. I suspect it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for them...

My geography isn't so great either I just seem to recall Bydgoszcz as being North.

You have very good English by the way.