Friday, February 09, 2007

Love and hate




Yesterday was an interesting day. I met up for dinner with my friend C last night. It’s always good to see him and we went for our usual curry and a catch up and it was a nice end to the day.

I didn’t get home very early last night. Yesterday’s snow slowed my journey to work a bit, but for some reason my journey home took much longer. I was feeling fairly cool, calm and collected and when I got off the first train to change trains there were none going to where I wanted so I thought I’d get the first train and then at least I’d be nearer home and hopefully the right one would arrive at some point. As I went to get on the train I stopped because I saw there was someone about to get off but there was a woman standing behind me and she started to huff and puff about having to wait and so she pushed passed me and got on the train. I rather dryly said to her that it was polite to wait for other people to get off first. I think it is fair to say that she went absolutely mad at this and started shouting and swearing at me and even when I had sat down she carried on and said various offensive things. In the end I just ended up laughing because I just could not understand why this woman was so riled. She was with her husband and he just seemed to mumble things - I think he was cut from the same mould as his wife but was possibly so hen-pecked that he had lost the ability to speak coherently.

When we got to the station where I was going to change to wait for the next train they didn’t realise I was going to get off and made some big fuss about “going to sit somewhere else where there was more space”. I stood up and got off the train and left them to it. Another woman then came up to me while I was standing on the platform and asked if I knew the woman who’d had a go at me and I told her I’d never met her before in my life. This woman said that she could not believe how the woman had spoken to me and how incredibly rude and offensive she’d been. I just had a bit of a joke and laugh with this woman and she suggested that if I met the woman again I should push her in front of a train, which I thought was helpful.

Earlier in the day I’d been feeling cold since I’d set off to work because I think the cold had just sort of seeped into my bones. Just before lunch I was in a meeting with a couple of people, which included the chap who seems to be a bit of a fan. I mentioned how cold I had been falling all day and the conversation then moved on. Anyway after the meeting I went back to my desk and a few minutes later this chap came over and said “I’ve got a spare fleece if you want to put it on” and handed it to me. I was really cold and so I thanked him and put it on and we exchanged a couple more comments and he wandered off. One of the people I sit near looked over at me and mouthed “He loves you”. I just chuckled. At least somebody does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah.. I start to understand the southern ways.. THAT'S why nobody talks to anybody else on the train / platform. Because they're all afraid of the mad women!! *nods head sagely*

Random Reflections said...

Exactly. There are many mad people on the underground and you can't tell who they are, the mad woman was a business woman.

The nice woman who came and spoke to me was actually Australina - she doesn't understand the rules you see.