Monday, February 05, 2007

They should have listened



I had a good time over at my sister’s house. We had lunch which was roast pork and was really good. My parents were there as well and my dad was his usual charming self and, even though he had been told what time lunch was, when it was ready dead on time he said “I can’t eat now, the rugby is on” and he just flatly refused to go into the dining room. After we had all eaten my father ate a couple of sausages and some bread that my sister took into him. He may as well have stayed at home if all he wanted to do was sit there and watch TV and not be disturbed by anyone.

Anyway, after lunch my mum, sister and I went for a walk on some open land nearby. I kicked a football about so my nephew could chase it and there were some cows and dogs and so on, which all made my nephew really excited and hopefully it all tired him out so that he went to sleep easily last night.

I borrowed my sister’s carpet shampooer so that I can get all of the dirt that has been trodden into my carpets over the last few weeks. Until I finally bought somewhere, such things would never have even crossed my mind. It’s amazing how your priorities change. Plumbing, burglar alarms and carpets. I would shake my head in despair, but to be honest, my life wasn’t any more exciting beforehand, so this is actually the peak of my existence.

I see bird flu has hit the headlines again, which has led to the culling of thousands of turkeys. I can see this needs to be done to stop onward transmission, but I suspect it will also cause a mass paranoia about eating turkey and chicken. As far as I am aware, cooking the meat would kill the virus anyway, so there is no way to catch it via food assuming you cook it properly. Anyway, I refer to my post last year on bird flu. If only they had listened to me...

3 comments:

missfee said...

Ick. I need to carpet clean. Rented flats, red wine and beige carpets do not mix well. Am also feeling excited about this.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, you wise old bird...
.... I wonder why my two cats are turning their noses up at the Turkey food, I put out for them this morning ? Maybe they have some inside information.....

Random Reflections said...

Miss Fee- Wow, you are a very considerate tenant - well maybe not that considerate if you spill wine in the carpet, but you've got to live. When I was living in rented accommodation it was a miracle if it even crossed my mind to hoover.

TF- I think you should pay close attention to your cats. Don't they detect earthquakes etc before they happen? Take it as a warning and don't be tempted to eat the cat food yourself.