Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Compare and contrast


I woke up yesterday morning and my first thought was "I hope there is a really long time until my alarm goes off” at which point the radio instantly came on and a voice screamed in my head “noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”, but as it turned out I probably was not alone in thinking this*. Apparently yesterday was the most likely day in the year for people to take a sickie. It seems that the reasons for this were:

Post-Christmas blues
Poor weather
Credit card bills
Long wait for the next holiday

You may recall that 24 January was meant to be the most depressing day of the year. It seems the reasons for this were:

Post-Christmas blues
Poor weather
Credit card bills
Long wait for the next holiday

Hmm, now I’m not always good at spotting similarities but I think I can possibly see some there. I’m also not a scientist, but I reckon I could have come up with those reasons without carrying out some research. However, I would have added an extra reason which is “because it’s a Monday”. Let me give you some words of advice here “this isn’t always the most cheerful time of the year, you might feel a bit down on occasion, if so this is normal and you don’t need a thorough piece of research to tell you this”.

Anyway, my friend who is in the Gambia and I have exchanged a few e-mails over the last few weeks about the President of the Gambia (as you do…). The story has now made it on to the BBC. Basically the President claims that he can heal Aids (and asthma). He tells people to stop taking medication and he will heal them, but only on a Thursday- and if it all goes wrong then it is the fault of the patient because they don’t have enough faith. Can you even imagine if Tony Blair said “Today I will not be running the country, instead I will be healing people. Come to me my children, let me cure you of all that ails you.” Somehow I just don’t see it. *Insert your own joke about the poor state of the NHS here*


It seems a few people may have questioned his ability to do this, to which his reply was "I am not a witch doctor and in fact you cannot have a witch doctor. You are either a witch or a doctor." Erm, ok, well we stand corrected then.

*Just to clarify, I was actually alone in bed – apart from my hot water bottle.

4 comments:

Red said...

I agree... can't see Tony Blair going the way of the president of Gambia. But only because our Tone knows he wouldn't be able to compete with Chris de Burgh in the "I shall heal you" stakes.

Random Reflections said...

Well who can compete with Chris de Burgh? I think we can safely say he is in a league of his own...

Anonymous said...

Add to that list the fact that everyone seems to have a cold or a tummy bug at the moment.. And it's freezing cold but not snowing (yet), and the thought of snow is sending fear and dread into the hearts of all train commuters in the South East...

Random Reflections said...

Lemonpillows- Oh so true - and did you carry out extensive research to find this out and then come up with a complicated formula and then decide a particular day is the most depressing/ boring/ dangerous in the whole year? Or did you just apply common sense... The media. Pah!