Thursday, February 01, 2007

Unusual




Wow, it’s February already. How did that happen??

Anyway, sometimes you do things because they are very sensible or logical but then you realise they might look a bit odd. It may not be a surprise for you to learn that London Underground is not one of the cleanest environments. In terms of coming into contact with grime it maybe isn’t so bad if you are sitting on a seat because it is probably only your clothes that are in contact with it, but if you are standing up then you normally want to hold on, so your hand touches one of the handrails. Of late, I have taken to putting a glove on before my hand touches a handrail. I’m not someone who is overly fussed by muck or dirt but there is just something about touching things on the tube that particularly appals me. People do all sorts of things with their hands - touch things, stick them in places that most people wouldn’t if they were in polite company and just generally move dirt and germs about. Somehow I don’t want to come into direct contact with that and so I put on a glove. But just the one glove. I occasionally wonder if people think it is odd or perhaps instead they secretly nod in agreement at the good sense I am showing – or more likely that they don’t care at all absorbed up in their own little world.

Although there are hundreds of people on a train, people still seem able to be oblivious to all that is around them. With the increase in iPods and MP3 players people shut out more and more around them. Most days I end up standing next to someone who is listening to their music so loudly that I could actually sing along. I can hear not only the dull beat of it, but also the tune and every single word of whatever song happens to be playing at the time. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone ask someone else to turn down their music instead people seem to get their own iPod and play that equally loudly in order to block out the sound. If you have not put your own defence system in place you are surrounded by a rising cacophony of sound with people’s competing music tastes music attacking you from every side

Mind you, if you cut everybody else out then you also miss out on listening in on other people’s conversations, such as last night when two men got on the tube engrossed in conversation and all I caught of what they said was “It’s really the most selfish thing you can do. Leaving some poor person having to use a toothbrush to clean up the mess made by your kidneys” Erm, yes that does sound quite selfish - and also an unusual use of a toothbrush.

7 comments:

missfee said...

Oh a highly unusual use for a toothbrush indeed! Almost as unusual as kim using hers as a mini, prickly vibrator in Sugar Rush...

And yes, imagine people will see the good sense in one glove, you'll see... everyone on the tube will be wearing a single glove in no time...

Kinga said...

Hello. I have just found a great way of finding interesting blogs. I just search for some interesting book books I have read recently. And it works. That's how I found your blog. :) (searching for "Theory of war"). Though I must say I don't understand your excitement about it. I mean it was a good book but I wouldn't kill for a copy of it. But then my favourite book is probably "The Conversation in the Cathedral" by Mario Vargas Llosa. And no one seems to understand me either.

Anyway, I find your blog funny and interesting so I will be coming back.
Cheers

Random Reflections said...

Miss Fee - I suspect *that* was contrary to the manufacturer's instructions.

I wonder if my glove wearing is slightly Michael Jackson like? Didn't he used to only wear one and look what happened to him.

Kinga - thanks for your comment. I'm not really sure why I like that book. It's something I can't quite explain. In part I like the darkness of it, but I guess it just taps into something. I had a quick look on the www at the book you mentioned. Looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for a copy and see what I make of it.

Pleased to hear I have amused you.

~grey said...

I am the same way here too. If I don't have a glove... I will use my sleave to touch a door handle or something.

Interesting to hear how the rest of that conversation went. I really dislike loud ipods or mp3's... people are sometimes to self absorbed...

enjoy your day

Random Reflections said...

Silent One - I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one. There is just something about travelling on public transport that means you have to be extra careful about what you come into contact with.

No idea how that conversation continued, but it would definitely have been interesting to find out what they were talking about. Perhaps they'll google the phrase sometime, come across this post and tell us all about it. That's the power of the internet...

Jen said...

Just surfing blogexplosion,thought I'd say hi!

missfee said...

I suspect you may be right :-)