Monday, February 26, 2007

Finally remembered



Ages ago I said that I would comment on how similar I am in real life to what is in my blog. At last I will attempt to answer that(if there are other things I have said I will return to then if you remind me I’ll try and do so at some point).

On the whole I think I am fairly like the person in my blog. I have met up with a few people through my blog and the general comment has been that I am like they had expected. Of course, the obviously missing element in my blog is that you don’t know what I look like but I think I look fairly normal and people don’t tend to run away in horror at the sight of me. If you read through my blog you’ll see things that give you vague indicators of what I look like. I think I have probably mentioned things like the colour of my hair and so on and you can then conjure up whatever image you wish with those vague descriptors (make it good though won’t you!).

In real life*, I think generally I come across as reasonably confident, but am actually rather shy and not terribly comfortable with new situations. I am also someone who would rather stay silent and only say things if I have something worth saying. Not that I mean that I find conversation difficult - I don’t tend to have lots of awkward silences with people and I will happily chat away about most things - just that I don’t tend to try and force my opinion on to other people. I would rather think things through and say something if it is helpful or going to give some insight etc. I am also someone who believes really strongly in keeping their word and my natural assumption is that other people will do the same (naïve I know). I don’t like to give up on people, something that sometimes means that I end up putting myself in situations that cause me pain, but it is part of my nature to stick with it. I suppose I am also rather reserved and have quite a serious side to me. But I do really like having a laugh with people and will often have a joke with people at work and am generally seen as approachable. But I suspect you can tell most of that from what I write.

I am also aware that there are some things that I don’t discuss here, some of which I think are quite apparent. There are some things in my life that I find too hard to explain (here). They would take so much explanation that to a degree I wouldn’t even know where to start. If I could sit down and talk to you face to face for a couple of hours then probably you’d really understand why there are some things I don’t comment on, but somehow I don’t think I could explain it so well here and so I stay silent. In fact in real life (sorry for that phrase again) I do discuss some of the really difficult stuff and the general reaction from friends is that they can see why I find these things so difficult and that they just don’t know what the answer is. My... how cryptic this all sounds. Sorry, it’s not meant to be. Maybe some day I will explain here, and just writing these words now makes me think that maybe I will some time, but we shall have to see. (Can you see that when I said in the previous paragraph that I like to think things through etc it is entirely true?!) Hmm, that all got a bit serious... It has made me think of various other things that I must comment on some time though, if I have not promptly forgotten them all.

Of course, you *have* had great insight into my life. I have done battle with mice, landladies and assorted commuters and come through it vaguely unscathed. You know I like giraffes and the PG Tips monkey. Hmm, a bit of an animal thing going on there, worrying... I probably have decidedly questionable taste in music and shouldn’t be quite so willing to broadcast that to the world. I work for an organisation that totally does my head in and yet for some bizarre reason continue to work there. I will eat pretty much anything and have never been known to turn down free food. I have very limited criteria in someone to go out with (i.e. breathing) and yet of late still cannot find anyone insane enough to go out with me. Er, actually those things pretty much sum up my whole life, what more could you possibly want to know? Job done.

*Not that I am actually one of those people who says blogging etc isn’t ‘real’, because if people are telling the truth then actually it is. It is just limited in its scope and leaves people having to fill in the blanks.

5 comments:

Drama Queen said...

The time has come for me to meet some people through my blog. I am worried about demystifying them and that they won’t be like I imagine. I fear I will be disappointed and disappointing in return. All this even though I never, ever lie. It’s strange, as you say, to think people will come to their own perceptions anyway. . .

Anonymous said...

'Real life' can sometimes be like a cryptic crossword, challenging but confusing at the same time...
....
You forgot to mention the chocolate Easter eggs! ;-)

Random Reflections said...

Drame Queen - welcome. It's always a dilemma meeting up with people you know through blogging. I have never met up with anyone where I've regretted it - but you'll never read their blog in quite the same way again because you have more information which will change how you "interpret it".

TF - what a brilliant explanation of real!

Oh yes... the Easter eggs, you're right. Still one left by the way and this year's Easter is just around the corner. Eek!

DAB said...

OK, I succumbed have set up a Blog
...
What a complicated process, changing fonts and colours straightforward... in my dreams.... Lets just say the foundation has been laid the rest of the build is under construction.
Site closed for the day...
...
What is all this HMTL malarkey about, talk about cryptic crosswords…. It’s given me a headache. ..
Random , throw me a bit of your Easter egg. TF

Random Reflections said...

Ooh, yes, so you have. HTML is a strange thing. a whole new language - and probably causes you to use some language of your own...

Anyway, welcome to the world of fully fledged blogging. Beware though, blogging is a cruel mistress and will take your very soul and when she has finished with you, she will cast you out as though she never knew you. Or maybe not.