Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Depth

My success at preparing people for interviews has continued. I helped someone last Friday who has been trying to get promoted for the last couple of years and yesterday she found out that she had got the job. In my new found hugginess (I’m not entirely sure where this has come from!), I went over and gave her a hug and she thanked me for my help and for focussing her mind on exactly what she needed to get across and said that it had made a real difference. I may have few areas in my life that I am really good at, but it seems that preparing people for interviews is one of them.

Someone I work with is trying to convince me that I should get some exercise. She thinks I should go running with her in the park. I have assured her that this is not going to happen. Getting out of bed in the morning is about as much exercise as I get. However, she was going to the gym yesterday lunchtime and I did ask her to run a few miles for me. I figure that it is a bit like neutralising your carbon emissions. But instead of planting a tree or making a positive contribution to society, I give my colleague a nice warm glow (both literally and metaphorically) by getting her to exercise on my behalf. She came back from the gym and told me that she had run for fifteen minutes on my behalf. I certainly felt better for it, particularly when I ate some chocolate cake yesterday afternoon.

There is a small part of me that is feeling a bit out of my depth with the current relationship stuff. All is well and it’s going fine, but G seems quite enthusiastic about it, which obviously is good – and I am enthusiastic too – but there is a part of me that just thinks this is all going kind of fast and I’m not sure that my poor brain can keep up. It’s not that I don’t want the relationship or anything like that, it’s just that I think maybe I am in shock that someone would want to go out with me, and then *actually* go out with me and not run away in horror (I may be slightly exaggerating there…). I am meant to be meeting some of G’s friends on Friday night and I am slightly scared by this! Mind you, I actually know one of G’s friends and when she found out we were going out her response was “nice woman, good choice”, so maybe I shouldn’t be too scared… Anyway, if it all goes badly at least I go away on holiday the next day and I can just hope that G has forgotten the whole thing by my return. I think maybe I just need to take a few deep breaths and pretend to be a proper adult for once. *gulp*

2 comments:

Spudgy said...

Should you not be reversing the thinking process i.e. make sure that he's good enough for you!!
Go with and enjoy - thinking only causes problems :-)

Random Reflections said...

Spudgy - Thinking is my nature! I'm not really having some crisis about my worth, I just have moments. I spoke to G about it anyway, who was lovely about it and all is well. I am definitely enjoying it though. Very much!