Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fair Play

A couple of weeks ago finally got round to applying for a new driving licence. I still had a paper licence and I had never changed it because I changed address so often that it didn’t seem worth the effort (or potential cost) so I just left it as my parents’ address. Anyway, I sent off my application and a cheque, although I was a little dubious whether they would accept it as the photo came out a bit pale, and a couple of days ago they sent my cheque back and said that I don’t need to pay anything. I’m not really sure why as part of what they had to do there is a charge for and part there isn’t so it seemed remarkably generous to err on the side of not charging me, but I’m not complaining. Hopefully the new licence will turn up soon - with its very serious looking photo. Eek.

I forgot to say yesterday that one of the things that was mentioned in my appraisal was my strong sense of “fair play” i.e. I try hard to make sure that people are treated well and fairly. I think that is rather a dying art where I work and was pleasantly surprised to have that formally noted. Not that I think anyone else is likely to care, but as it turns out it does actually matter to me that people see that in me and that they recognise that I try hard to make sure that staff are treated well and their views are represented etc.

Developments in matters of the heart have on occasion made my mind turn to stuff with A. It’s made me wonder if I’ve changed my mind on whether I would still want us to be in touch or if somehow A doesn’t matter so much any more. I have to say that the answer is no because the thing is that it has always been about missing my friend and the hope that one day we would be able to be back on decent terms. That hope still remains. I also realised that I am still concerned to protect A. It’s too convoluted to explain here but there is something that could open a (small) can of worms for A, and I have been going to efforts to ensure that doesn’t happen. Despite the fact that A has done me no favours whatsoever since things ended between us, it’s not my style to do something that might cause a problem for other people, and there is a part of me that wants to ensure that nothing happens which is to A’s detriment. I mean that as a general thing, it’s not that this connection that has come up is some massive thing, but even so, I just want to do what I can to ensure that things are ok for A. I guess it’s that sense of fair play again.

Oh and last night? A great evening *grins*

No comments: