Monday, May 21, 2007

Punishment

Well, it was a very good weekend and I got lots done and now have one week of work to get through before going away on holiday. Yay!

Yesterday I went and got a hair cut, which was basically the last day I had available before I went on holiday to get it done. I don’t actually like Sunday trading. I think it is bad for society to be able to work (or even shop) seven days a week. Everybody needs time to rest and every day seemingly potentially being able to be the same doesn’t strike me as a good thing. If shops weren’t open on a Sunday people would actually still find time to go shopping or do all those other things that suddenly have become so vital to do on a Sunday - instead of maybe spending time with their family or doing something relaxing. I am, of course, entirely a hypocrite having gone to get my hair cut yesterday, but I was hopeful that the hairdresser would cut one of my ears off by accident as a suitable punishment. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the case and I was actually pleased with the hair cut.

I was slightly alarmed by this story. In part just by the fact that a gorilla managed to escape from the zoo but also because it managed to track down (and bite) an admirer. Of all the people it could have attacked it was a woman who seemed totally besotted with him. My personal theory is that the woman was stalking the gorilla and the gorilla got so sick of getting her love letters and banana parcels that when he saw her turn up at the zoo he went on a rampage. She won’t be writing many letters for the foreseeable future now, will she? Job done.

No comments: