Thursday, August 02, 2007

Simple pleasures

I am feeling the effects of being back at work i.e. I am already really worn out. Mind you, I shouldn’t complain too much, two days this week I have been home before 5.30pm due to going to meetings near where I live. It’s funny because I get a great deal of satisfaction from being home in time for Neighbours. It’s not that I follow Neighbours any more or have any great interest in it but I think it reminds me of getting home from school and switching on the TV in time to watch Neighbours. It’s the little things…

Last night G and I were talking about finances. G is a bit short of money at the moment due to being between jobs and so I was suggesting a couple of things that might be good “income supplementers”. I think it will just be a temporary glitch, and hopefully G will be back on track soon, but what we’re also going to try and do is both try and get some money that is purely extra money and we can then spend it on going out for dinner etc. This is through doing things like yougov surveys – we can then spend it on doing nice stuff and there’s no need to worry about who pays etc because it just comes out of the “having a nice time” fund. I like this plan.

I also wrote a letter to my freeholder last night about building insurance. It’s due for renewal shortly and I reminded her that she can only levy reasonable charges and requested that she therefore get multiple quotes for the insurance – particularly as it doubled in cost last year. She is actually under no obligation to get multiple quotes etc, even though she does have to act reasonably, but I figure you don’t get if you don’t ask. I have decided that if she refuses to act like a freeholder I will just keep reminding her of her obligations and that she also gave her word (which at the time I knew to be worth nothing and have since been proven correct) to renew my lease. I am therefore just going to send her a letter every month prompting her and if she fails to respond keep on doing so until I hit the two year mark and will then serve papers on her. I am just seeing it as a game now – if she does as requested then I win and if she doesn’t then I have lost nothing, but at least I’ve given it a go.

No comments: