Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Size matters

Yesterday was one of those irritating days. My eyesight was a bit dodgy as I seemed to have a form of photo-sensitivity and when I looked at different sources or intensity of light it made my head hurt. This was not ideal as it could be as simple as looking at my computer monitor and then looking at my desk, which isn’t great for getting a lot of work done. I don’t know what caused it, but I’m hoping that today is a bit better. It’s about time I got my eyes tested, so perhaps I should do that sooner rather than later.

I also got to lunch time yesterday and realised that I had forgotten to take my lunch to work, so I had to go and buy a sandwich instead. However, I took this as an opportunity to get away from my desk and to go for a bit of a walk. I weighed myself on Sunday night and shocked by how much I weighed. Over the last few months I have put on about half a stone. Eek! So no matter how lazy I am, it is time to get my act together on getting a bit of exercise or I will start to get harpooned when people mistake me for a whale.

I went for a walk for about half an hour yesterday lunchtime and will try and do that as often as possible and for my birthday a friend gave me a couple of fitness DVDs (not as a hint I might add!) and it’s definitely time to get going on those. I could also be spotted walking home last night from the station counting the number of steps it took, seeing as you are meant to take about 10000 steps a day. My walk home is about 650 steps, so there’s quite a long way to go. I reckon I take about 3500 steps a day, not including any wandering about when I am in the office, so hopefully a lunchtime walk will get me rather nearer to 10000 steps.

They say that going out with someone can mean that you put on weight and I think that is definitely the case. Quite often at weekends G and I have a cooked breakfast (although it’s not fried and could be far unhealthier) and we just generally seem to eat a lot of food. In fact this week I’m meeting up with a friend for dinner tonight and I think having dinner with G tomorrow night. This is not good for the waistline. But, as I tell myself, a girl’s got to eat!

Anyway, my new regime (a grander title than it warrants) is going to consist of not eating all the biscuits in the office, a bit of portion control and some more exercise – and hopefully I will manage to return to more normal proportions soon…

4 comments:

londongirl said...

You should try getting a pedometer - they are only cheap - and you might be surprised by the amount of steps you do.

And keep your chin up.

Random Reflections said...

Londongirl - I think I might have a pedometer somewhere. The problem is that if I already do a lot of steps and have put on weight then I might have to consider missing out my tube journey every day and walking the entire distance! I think I could be in work in time if I set off about 4am every day...

DAB said...

Get yourself a penny farthing ;-)

Random Reflections said...

TF - I can't ride a bike - yet another of my inadequacies... I can't imagine a penny farthing would be the best type of bike to start with!