Thursday, August 09, 2007

The sound of silence

Yesterday was such a tiring day when it really should have consisted of little more than sitting at my desk. I seemed to spend most of the day dealing with very irritating people who seemed to be refusing to do their job or doing it very badly. Anyway I got through the day and managed not to kill anyone. We’ll see if I can keep that up today, as the irritations are likely to persist.

I did do a good deed for the day though. One of my colleagues has a major leg injury and is in quite a lot of pain if her leg is not properly supported. We had put together a somewhat haphazard structure to help her until something more permanent could be tracked down and yesterday she found a suitable item, but getting it was the problem. So I said that I’d go and pick it up on my lunch break which involved a journey to South Wimbledon on the tube, a walk to a warehouse, and then making a return journey holding a reasonably heavy box that seemed to get heavier with every step. I will be doing an injury to her other leg if it doesn’t turn out to be suitable. I sent G an e-mail to say that I had gone to pick up a stool for a colleague and then had to clarify that this was a *foot* stool rather than me going to pick up an intimate sample.

I met up with G last night for dinner. G is very hyperactive and talkative at the moment having started a new job on Tuesday, which seems to be going very well. I sat there is dumbfounded silence at quite how much G could talk and hold a conversation but without me actually needing to say anything. I think the ratio was about 50:1 in how much I said! Anyway, G has lent me a phone so I am now able to hear the other half of the conversation if I make a phone call – which if G is on good form would be an awful lot of silence if I couldn’t hear what was being said!

I’m a bit mixed on the health and fitness thing. I got a lot of exercise yesterday going to pick up the stool, but the previous night had been out with a friend for a very nice biriyani, so was probably still in deficit. I did do a fair bit of walking yesterday anyway, but also ate a couple of biscuits at work – I just can’t seem to resist the temptation. I did have a reasonably healthy dinner last night as we went to Wagamamas. But much more work still needs to be done. I might do some work on another part of my life tonight as I might phone a friend I haven’t spoken to in ages who I think has some news to tell me which he is probably uncertain of how I will react to. In reality I think it is very good news, but I plan to phone him and see how long he takes to tell me before putting him out of his misery and saying that I knew anyway! Perhaps this is why we don’t speak very often…


Oh and I am wholeheartedly in support of this suggestion of banning Crocs on the tube (and more generally). I find them the most strange "fashion" item and can't see the appeal at all. What is the world coming to where is finds brightly coloured plastic shoes appealing. *realises I sound as though I’m about 90 and decides it’s best to leave it there*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope that the rest of the day goes smoothly and quietly for you. as for CROCS, i am to admit that i own a pair, and live in them . yup, wear them all of the time. however, this past weekend i had the misfortune of trying to run, thus falling, while wearing them. 2 solutions to that are, don't run in CROCS, or don't run. period.
have a great thursday evening!

Random Reflections said...

Poet - it's amazing who owns crocs. They seem to have taken over the world! I'm all for the not running rule. I try not to run for anything if I can avoid it. Not because of unsuitable footwear but because I think I am likely to fall over or do something else really embarassing...