Monday, August 13, 2007

To infinity and beyond

It turned out to be quite a busy weekend. G’s niece was visiting so we didn’t see each other but I managed to occupy my time anyway.

Saturday I met up with my sister and we had a chat and a coffee and wandered around a few shops – not that I am a wander around the shops sort of girl but I don’t mind if there are specific things that need to be purchased. I just hate browsing.

I was fairly industrious most of the rest of the weekend and repainted a couple of doors in my hall that I wasn’t very happy with and ironed a couple of tops I had been ignoring for ages, I hemmed a pair of trousers and discovered e-bay… What exciting things did I buy on there? Some light bulbs, radiator panels and some eco-balls. I’ve been kind of curious at what eco-balls are like but have been put off by the price but there were some that were an absolute bargain on e-bay so I bought them. I see I am going to have to show some self control.

I was also talking to my mum over the weekend and she said that she thinks they should get some more energy efficient bulbs so I am going to go round to their house soon and carry out an audit of their light bulbs and see how many we can replace with energy saving bulbs. This post today just sums up how exciting my life is…

However, on a more exciting note – I saw the space shuttle orbiting earth last night! I think it is currently coked with the International Space Shuttle at the moment and so is particularly visible. So I stood in the dark in my garden at just gone 10pm last night and looked up into the sky and spotted it. It basically looks like a fast moving star and should being moving from west to east. If you want to try and spot it tonight you should be able to see it at 10.26pm – or you can look at the schedule for London for other opportunities. You need to keep your eyes peeled though because my sister and I live maybe 40 miles apart and we spotted it at the same time. If 10.26pm tonight is after your bed time, you should be able to see it tomorrow at 9.15pm (in London). If you live elsewhere, then check here for your country/ city.

It was actually quite impressive looking at the night sky anyway. It’s a rare thing (for me at least) to spend time just staring at the night sky. As my eyes got used to the darkness, more stars became apparent and it was just really amazing looking at its vastness. As the quote says, “The night sky is a miracle of infinitude”.

2 comments:

DAB said...

Eco balls,now we are talking :-)
...
I once went to a Patrick Moore talk, I'm afraid I lost the thread within the first five minutes, nice speakimg voice though....

Random Reflections said...

TF - I'm sure I'll give my opinion on them when I have managed to test them. Don't ever let it be said that I don't let people in on the detail of my life, including the state of my pants...

At least you got something out of going along. I hope you didn't snore too loudly.