Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I like being on leave

Here I am at last. The late post today is due to having the day off work and getting distracted by a whole load of other things. I had today off to have a water meter fitted. The chap was due between noon and 5pm but phoned about 11am and asked if he could come over early. He duly arrived, had a look about and then said that he couldn’t fit a water meter as I have a shared water supply with my neighbours. He did then give me a really interesting tip. He suggested that I phone the water company, tell them I can’t have a water meter fitted and then ask them to reduce my water bill anyway. I live on my own so he said that my water charges will be far higher than they need to be. Apparently, if you are willing to fill out some questionnaire for them every year so that they can estimate your usage they may be willing to reduce your bill. It had never even crossed my mind that your water bill was negotiable (I assume only if you can’t have a water meter fitted though), so that will be the next thing I will try. You will be pleased to hear that if you come and visit you may still flush the toilet rather than me having to impose a one flush a day rule.

Anyway, because I was off today, G came over last night and then took this morning off work. We had a really nice morning chatting over a bowl of porridge (each) and drinking real coffee. It was a shame G then had to go to work, but I think we might do it again some time. Even with all my Christmas leave booked (all three weeks of it), I still have 29 days leave to take…

I went out at the same time as G set off for work and I did some shopping. I just felt really happy wandering about this was because a) I’d had a really nice morning b) I was able to spend some time outside during the working week that involved seeing daylight. I just kept thinking how nice it was to be able to wander about aimlessly when I should be at work and c) I was able to do some Christmas related shopping without hordes of people about, including going to a couple of shops I’d been meaning to go to for ages but hadn’t had time. I also managed to get things like some chocolates for C (who works for me) and for my secretary and so that is them sorted for Christmas. They are M&S Belgian chocolates and I was going to get them anyway, but at the moment they are reduced from £7.99 to £4.99 so they were a real bargain. Then I wended my way home and bought myself a really nice cake to have with a cup of tea and I have just eaten that sitting in front of my computer. I like days off work. A lot.

3 comments:

DAB said...

Glad to see you are getting your oats :) 55% I'm considering the Plan B option!......

the vicious chicken said...

Sounds like a lovely day... hooray for days off :o)
VCx

Random Reflections said...

TF - Cheeky! I look forward to you seeing sense on this business deal!

VC - It was a great day off. Long overdue. Roll on Christmas! I hope all is well and that your mum is doing ok.