Thursday, November 22, 2007

Minutes

Yesterday was one of those days. I missed my normal train (I'm still not entirely sure how) and then got into work and turned on my computer and just after I logged in, we had a power failure and I had to start all over again. Then last night I went out in torrential rain to go and minute a meeting. Apart from this meeting that I go to once a year to take the minutes, I don’t minute anything, I have ‘people’ to do that sort of thing for me, but it keeps me humble to occasionally minute a meeting. I do normally take about 11 months to actually write up the minutes. But this year will be different. I’ll do them much quicker this year. Maybe even this weekend. Maybe…

Next week I have to go to the stadium of the best English football team (I’ll leave you to work out which one that is... but I think we can safely say that it is not the *England* football team.). I’m not much of a fan of football but I do listen out for the football scores to see how they’re doing. I think A would actually be rather envious of me going there and had we been on better terms I probably could have arranged for an extra visitor to join me, but instead I shall just enjoy the hospitality myself. It’s not on a match day, so I don’t think there will be champagne flowing, which is obviously a good thing as I don’t drink, but it should be interesting anyway. Sometimes I get to do nice things, I do have to give a talk in return though, which fortunately has nothing to do with football.

Anyway, I am off out for a drink tonight, which will be ‘interesting’ as I am not sure quite how much G will drink. I do find myself feeling wary when I am around people who are drinking. G is lovely and it’s not that alcohol changes this, I just don’t feel comfortable around people who are drinking more than small amounts and it puts me on edge and makes me feel a bit vulnerable, as it can make people unpredictable. In that context at least, I really like predictable. I don’t want to be anti-social, but I guess I can just go home if I feel a bit uncomfortable with it all. Hopefully it will be a nice evening though, particularly if I can manage to eat some food – because it is always dangerous to leave me without food for too long. My sister and G were comparing stories of what I am like when I get hungry. They will not be spending time with each other again.

No comments: