Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Mice

I have moved to a new desk at work. My over friendly colleague was the one who organised the move. This gave him even more of an excuse to talk to me today. I did consider killing him and dumping his body in one of the packing crates. I managed to resist the urge. Today may be another story if he does the same again today.

I do actually have a horrible story about mice but instead I will give you a recipe to make coconut mice, as I was asked for this. So here it is...

You need:

250g icing sugar
200g tin of condensed milk
175g desiccated coconut
Red food dye
Sweets for the ears (something like white chocolate buttons)
Silver cake-decorating balls (to be the eyes)
Red liquorice bootlaces or similar to make the tail (or you could use wool if all else fails, but don’t eat that…)

Then you:

• Mix the icing sugar and condensed milk together in a bowl and then mix in the coconut. Split the mixture between two bowls.

• Add a few drops of red food dye to each bowl and mix it in. Then add a few more drops to one of the bowls so it is a deeper red.

• Dip a spoon into warm water and dip it into one of the bowls and take out a big spoonful of mixture and use the shape of the spoon to create the shape of the body.

• Put the shaped body on to some cling film.

• Pinch the thin end of the shape to make a nose. Press in the silver balls to make the eyes and the sweets to make the ears.

• Put a piece of liquorice at the other end to make a tail.

• Repeat to make more mice. This should make eight large mice, five medium mice and three baby mice.


I am not actually going to make these this week, but I will be making:

Milk and white chocolate truffles
Christmas crunchies (a combination of biscuits, dried apricots, chocolate drops, golden syrup and drinking chocolate/ icing sugar)
Pink fudge
Peppermint creams
Cornflake cakes

I am going to have a busy few days...

8 comments:

f said...

Thanks!! I will certainly make some of these - pink fudge sounds good too :-),,,,

Random Reflections said...

femmeismygender - I have made some pink fudge tonight. I just ate some of what was left in the bowl and I am on such a sugar high!

Kahless said...

Hope the cornflake cakes are the ones covered in loads of chocolate!

Random Reflections said...

kahless - oh yes - chocolate and golden syrup!

jumpinginpuddles said...

ohhh ium coming over to your house to taste these cause we all know everyone needs a good taste tester LOL

Random Reflections said...

hip - given the amount of sugar I ate last night, I probably do need a tester!

f said...

mmmmmmmm! Pink fudge sounds SO delicious...recipe please? :-)

Random Reflections said...

femmeismygender - yes, will do. Be warned, it is very sweet and involves marshmallows!