Friday, July 28, 2006

Almost an adult

Yesterday morning I was woken up at 6am by one of the boys who is staying talking on the phone. I was talking to my landlady about it last night and she said that she had sorted out topping up his phone the night before and put £10 on it and he’d called his parents but the credit had lasted five minutes and so he had been really upset. I felt quite sorry for him after I heard that and was glad I resisted the urge to get out of bed and tell him to shut up. However, I got woken up by him talking on the phone again this morning, so I might not be quite so kind in future. I'll mention it to my landlady and get her to have a word. I will be really annoyed if I get woken up really early tomorrow.

Anyway, the mortgage is now hopefully sorted. The slight complication is that I had to fill out the form as though I live at my parents’ address because that is where I am on the electoral roll. I have moved so often that it just seemed easiest to be registered there rather than keep having to re-register. What with pretending to be a proper adult by getting a mortgage, I thought I’d better continue that by phoning my dad and mentioning this to him. I think he was kind of surprised to hear from me but did at least realise it was me and not my sister. He did agree that if someone phoned and asked for me that he wouldn’t say “Who? Never heard of her” and in fact will just take a message – not that he knows how to get in touch with me, but that’s a whole different matter.

My financial adviser is such a nice chap and I always feel as though he is giving a well informed and honest opinion. As I know nothing about buying a house that’s just what I need. The mortgage chap who was also there even filled out the forms for me (I know he did them right as I sat there and watched him do it). Sometimes it can be really nice to have people do things like that for you and form filling can be a bit of a chore. I phoned the estate agent after that so that they knew they should be hearing from a surveyor next week. I want to make sure I sound keen and as though I am getting on with things – particularly as I am. The next task is to work out all the things that I am going to need to buy, how much they will cost and the priority for buying each because there is a lot of stuff to buy and money will be rather more scarce. It’s a shame that it is my birthday rather imminently or else I could have come up with quite a few things, but I haven’t had any time to think about it. My family will breathe a collective sigh of relief when I have bought my own place, as I will finally be able to think of things that I need. Roll on Christmas.

No comments: