Sunday, July 02, 2006

Competitions

I decided not to put in another offer on the place I was interested in. It just didn’t feel right and I think I should go on my gut instinct on this one. It just don’t want to put in a higher offer on somewhere that I had some serious reservations about. It’s not that I am unwilling to compromise, it just needs to be in a way that doesn’t make me feel nauseous.

An estate agent phoned the other day and left a message saying he had some really “interesting news” for me. Seeing as I had never spoken to him before I was slightly sceptical how interesting this news could be beyond him having a new property on his books. Anyway I returned his call and had to leave a message for him and then he never called back, so maybe it wasn’t all that interesting after all.

Yesterday I went to see some more properties and two of which were really nice. One was a ground floor maisonette and it had a very decent sized main bedroom and a really nice garden. The chap who was selling it is all set to move because the original buyer suddenly pulled out of the deal a few days ago even though all the conveyancing etc had been done. I’d want to go and have another look at it before I put in an offer and I don’t think I am going to have time before next weekend so it might well have been sold by then anyway. The other place was a first floor maisonette and was nice, but I preferred the other one, but it is maybe one to keep in reserve.

There seem to be a few places about at the moment and one of the estate agents said to me that because of the World Cup the market had been really quiet, as people didn’t want to be bothered about buying and selling houses while it is on. Mind you, given yesterday’s result in the football, things may pick up more now. I did actually watch the match yesterday and England did play pretty well in the second half, when they had gone down to 10 men. But then when it came to coming up with the right result, they couldn’t do it and, as ever, it was a toe-curling experience watching it, reminding me why I usually avoid watching England play. But I did my duty *thinks* unless it was me watching that made them lose...

But just to illustrate how my brain works the thing that I remember most from the match was the montage that the BBC ran at the end which was of the highs and lows of the England teams World Cup competition this time and it was set to “Numb” by The Pet Shop Boys and I thought that was really great. I am often really impressed by the way the Beeb put together all the different clips and then find a really great piece of music that just sums up the moment. I don’t know quite what that says about me, but despite the unimpressive result by England I thought the BBC summed it up really well and I’ll remember that much longer than the match.

No comments: