Monday, July 31, 2006

Another year

So today I reach the grand old aged of thirty one – or twenty eleven years old as I like to think of it. When I was thirty, I could just about get away with saying that I wasn’t actually *in* my thirties as I *was* thirty, so I figure I shall now regress to being in my twenties.

The strange thing is that the older I get the younger my mother seems to get and, if I am to believe what she says, I am now four years older than her. Whilst some may think this unlikely, who am I to doubt her?

A couple of birthdays ago A was due to phone me on my birthday but was unable to call me when it came to it and promised that the following year would be different and we would speak. Only when it came to it, we weren’t actually on speaking terms last year. I suppose I do somewhere in my mind hold out the hope that A will make contact on my birthday, although a phone call is a rather unlikely option. It won’t ruin my birthday not to hear from A because to be honest my birthday is pretty much like any other day, but it is a day when you might vaguely expect to cross someone’s mind if you were once significant to them.

Anyway, I had a busy day yesterday catching up with a few people and I went to a Spanish restaurant with my parents and so on. I went back to my parents’ house afterwards and a friend of theirs dropped round unannounced. Even though I hadn’t seen him for twenty years I instantly recognised his voice, so knew who it was before he even walked into the room. It’s funny how there are some people who you just remember and know instantly.

So today I am off work and need to do a few mundane bits like go to my solicitors and pick up a few bits at the supermarket, including some cakes to take into work tomorrow, as that it what you have to do when it’s your birthday. I’m meeting up with a friend in a bit and we will hopefully do something more exciting, but as I was greeted by a note from my landlady this morning which said “the estate agent is coming round at 2.30 leave the place immaculate”, anything is going to seem charming by comparison. So I’m off to lounge about and make the place look untidy. Nothing new there then.

9 comments:

creepylesbo said...

Happy Birthday, then!

Random Reflections said...

Thank you. Most kind.

The Cynic said...

Many happy returns! (think I might have said something similar text-wise last night, but memory very hazy)

Random Reflections said...

*laughs - and then checks texts* I think there was a clear commitment to buying me a drink at some point. I have it in writing, don't think you can get out of it that easily!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Appee Birfday xxx

Syber_Sadie said...

Happy birthday, hope your enjoying your day off.

Random Reflections said...

Thanks Cross Bitch and syber_sadie. I haven't done anything very exciting with my day so far, but hopefully a more interesting evening ahead.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea who I am, and I don't know you either.... but I just came here by typing a random line in google. I typed "I don't know anything about buying a house" :D (I don't either... I wanted to see what came up and if anyone else has trouble understanding all that garbage like I do!!)

Errr... anyways....That's not the weird thing, hehe, the weird thing was it brought me to this page/post... and when I read it, I nearly jumped out of my skin, lol. You sound like me... I ALWAYS say I'm 20-11... and my mum is now also "younger" than me (She's been 29 for years!!!!!!) :D Oh.. and the other weird thing.... my birthday is the 29th of July :D Strange....

Anyways.... haha, just wanted to say hi and share the weirdness ;)

Random Reflections said...

That is very weird. Perhaps we are (almost) identical twins who live on opposite sides of the world!

I really don't know anything about buying a house by the way. I am just relying on my solicitor to be wiser than me and give me good advice. I think things are different in New Zealand anyway - don't you rent a property for a few months before you actually purchase it?

I have learnt quite a lot as the process has gone on but hopefully when this purchase has finally gone through I won't have to move again for a very long time...

I hope that if you're buying somewhere it goes well.