Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Injuries and independence

I survived my first day working for my head of unit, each day that I make it through without suffering any injuries is counted as a good day – whether they are emotional batterings from my head of unit or otherwise.

As I type I can see an injury sustained at work last week. One of my colleagues was messing about and clipped my arm as I was walking along holding a freshly made cup of tea. So freshly made that I hadn’t even put any milk in it. It went all over my hand and despite running it under a tap, I ended up with painful blisters on a couple of my fingers. I hadn’t realised quite how hot the water was but it must have not been far off boiling. The pain was quite considerable until the following day but now the blisters have pretty much gone and there is just some redness to my fingers where they got burnt. Have no fear though, it hasn’t put me off drinking tea, I will just have to wear protective gloves every time I fancy a quick brew.

It is of course Independence Day which is something to do with some people setting sail for America and sticking two fingers up at us Brits – and look where that got them. One of the richest nations in the world with pretty much everything life has to offer, including the ability to elect a president who gets less votes than the other candidate and then re-electing him four years later. Yes, they made a true victory for democracy when they left these shores a couple of centuries ago.

It is also three years since Barry White died. May you remember the Walrus of Love - and on your journey home why not make someone’s day by serenading them with “Can’t get enough of your love baby” or “You’re the first, the last, my everything”? Maybe try it on the bus on the way home- it doesn’t matter if you don’t know them. Mind you if you try “What am I gonna do with you?”, you might get some surprising answers in return. You never know your luck.

No comments: