Friday, July 21, 2006

Breathing space

Well I’m on leave today which is very welcome given that it gives me a break from working for my head of unit. I think I’ve already said that it hasn’t turned out to be as bad as I had feared, but she did seem to expect me to be still there waiting for her last night when she got back from a meeting at 7.30. I’d done some work for her but she wouldn’t let me send it before she went to the meeting and wanted me to send it when she got back, but it all had to go out in her name from her e-mail account and because she can’t use a computer at all she needed someone to be there and press the buttons. Fortunately my boss said that, as he had other things to do at work, he would stay and sort it out for her. So I was very grateful.

I’ve thought of a route home that means that I can do a reasonable part of my journey on a national rail train that has something vaguely like air conditioning. It makes such a difference, as although it means I have to change to and from the tube twice it so more of a more pleasant journey. Travelling on the tube is so hot at the moment that any respite from it is well worth it.

I’m on leave because my friend S and her husband are over from The Gambia again, so we’ll see how that goes. I have thought of somewhere nice to go for lunch today but haven’t some up with a plan beyond that. I think I will probably have to log into my work e-mail this afternoon though because I need to chase something up so I may not be able to entirely switch off from work.

In case you were wondering, the name of yesterday’s post ‘O tell me the truth about love’ is the name of a poem by WH Auden. I’m not generally into poetry because I usually have no idea what it’s about or miss all the symbolism and so on, but it’s a really nice poem and makes me chuckle. Also, here are the rest of the lyrics to “Drops of Jupiter” and you can check out if they have crow-barred in any other words that rhyme like “sticking” and “chicken”. Who am I to criticise? I think they did very well out of the song and it’s kind of catchy.

Anyway, to quote some US cop show that I can’t think of the name of ‘be safe out there’.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was the show "hill street blues"? hi i dropped by somehow and like your page. have a good day. i will be back. take care. poet

Random Reflections said...

Hi Poet. Welcome. I think you're right that it was Hill Street Blues. Thanks.