Monday, July 10, 2006

You may look vaguely familiar

I had a fairly peaceful day yesterday but I made sure I went out and did something so that I didn’t get to the end of my weekend and all I had done was work and feel tired. So I decided to go and look at a painting exhibition yesterday afternoon. There was one particular painting I wanted to see but as people could buy the paintings, it had been sold when I got there. I bought a couple of postcards anyway and the artist was actually there and so I spoke to him briefly and I might go back some time and have another look. Some of the paintings were not actually that expensive and there was a nice watercolour that would go nicely in a bathroom. Although, I could probably do with actually buying somewhere to live so I have a bathroom rather than decorating it just yet...

I have no artistic talent whatsoever, I can’t paint or draw and so on, although I did make a very good sheep out of fimo once now I think about it, but that was the exception to my artistic ability or lack thereof. Whilst I thought some of this chap’s artwork wasn’t brilliant, I thought others were really good and captured various images of London very well. It was just a shame that not all of them were available as postcards.

At one point I was at Trafalgar Square and there was a very amusing moment when a whole load of Italian students were standing on one side of the road and they spotted five French students holding the tricolore on the other side of the road. A bit of booing ensued between the opposing sides and then the Italians started to chant very loudly “Italia, Italia” and people just looked on both bemused and amused. The French contingent resisted the urge to head butt any of the Italians in the chest though (note the football related joke. Impressive, huh?).

It’s going to be another really busy day and I don’t think I will get away from work very early tonight. I added up the amount of overtime I did last week and it was 18 hours Monday to Friday and then another 10 hours on Saturday. If I am allowed to claim some pay for it, I can also get paid for some travel time as well, so that will take me to over 30 hours. I don’t think I will make my fortune out of the overtime as we are paid at well below our hourly rate for working extra hours. I have no idea why that’s the case but there’s nothing I can do about it and it is also discretionary whether they’ll pay for the week day hours at all, so I might get paid nothing! I would say that I do it just for the love of the job, but given the sinking feeling I had last night, somehow I think that it’s going to take a lot to convince myself of that, let alone anyone else.

Whilst I think I am still going to be working for my head of unit for a good few days yet, hopefully the really long hours will be over as of tomorrow and my sanity will be restored then. I was so tired yesterday that I was having trouble remembering people’s names. The names of people who I have known for years were just escaping me and I had to do my usual trick of running through the alphabet to try and prompt me. That technique normally helps me to remember pretty much anything, but yesterday even that was not helping me to fill in some of the blanks. So I think some decent sleep is needed - and I apologise if I look at you blankly in the street. Although that’s probably more to do with not knowing what you look like in the first place. Anyway, apologies.

No comments: