Sunday, July 30, 2006

Dead or alive

A rather vital part of my lap top seems to have gone missing. It’s the part that means I can dial into the network. I had it on Thursday night and then haven’t been able to find it since and have no idea where it has gone. I asked my landlady if she had seen it and she searched as well and couldn’t find it. She did ask if maybe one of the boys might have taken it and whilst it seems to be the only vague possibility of how it can have disappeared without any trace, it seems unlikely. The bit that has gone missing generates a number which then forms part of a password and it has no monetary value at all and is of no use to anyone unless they are trying to work my lap top because it won’t work any other one. So it’s all very very odd and I’ll just have to ask work to supply me with another one.

I met up with mum yesterday afternoon and we had a bit of a browse around some shops- or more accurately spent most of the time sitting drinking tea. I bought a book for my nephew called Russell the Sheepthat I thought was really nice and I’ll give that to him today but while I was there I saw another book that I was a bit stunned by, so much so I had to drag my mother into the shop to look at it. It’s a book called The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business. Basically it is the story of a mole and another animal poos on its head and then he spends the rest of the story wandering about with the poo on his head watching other animals poo so that he can work out if they are the culprit. When he finds the animal that did it, he then poos on that animals head. What is the youth of today going to turn out like if they read stories of animals pooing on each others heads? I think my nephew is going to be cheeky enough as it is and this could just add fuel to the fire.

Several times when I was with mum with us discussing various famous people and she would say “they’re dead of course” and I’d say “Are they?” and she’d say “yes they died a couple of years ago” Bob Monkhouse, Dudley Moore and so on. I’ve obviously been in a world of my own, but it was like being in some comedy sketch or playing a game of ‘dead or alive’ – which is that game where you name someone and someone else has to say whether they are dead or alive. The clue at to what it involves is in the name of the game.

I am meeting up with my parents and my sister, bro in law and nephew later and we’re going out for lunch, as it is my birthday tomorrow (day off work tomorrow hurrah!). I was hoping that my landlady wouldn’t twig to when my birthday is but unfortunately a couple of cards turned up in the post yesterday and she saw them and asked if it was my birthday. Not that I have actually opened any of my cards yet. They’re sitting on my shelf unopened until tomorrow. But I think I’ll open the presents from my family today or else I’ll have to open them on my own tomorrow morning which wouldn’t be as nice. Of course, I shouldn't presume because they may not have bought me anything and I'll just sit there looking all forlorn. So feel free to send me lots of presents for tomorrow just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, have a great day. TF

Random Reflections said...

Thanks very much.