Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Waiting

Well, I was indeed brave and put in an offer on the place I want to buy. I was decisive and explained the reasoning behind my offer and so on. Perhaps unsurprisingly the estate agent called back and after gushing about how grateful the vendor was, turned down the offer. Not that I have put in that many offers, but it is remarkable quite how “grateful” they are and how much “they wanted to thank you for the offer”. I must obviously only want to buy from people who are very polite and courteous. Nice to know.

So I had a think and decided to play it cool on putting in another offer but was going to phone late afternoon to offer a bit more money. Except the estate agent phoned me back first to say that someone else who had seen it on Saturday had phoned to see he would probably put an offer in so the estate agent wanted to know if I had thought about upping my offer. As I was going to put in another offer anyway, I did it then but stressed the fact that the owner had made an error by letting the lease run down so much and I was now going to have to pay for that error and that as a first time buyer there wasn’t going to be any problem with the chain breaking down. So… since then... I have heard nothing.

I am assuming the owner has either had an offer from the other chap as well and is deciding which to accept or the other chap hasn’t put in an offer and she is waiting to see if he does. Anyway, if it turns into some kind of bidding war I am not interested, particularly as whatever I pay, I am then going to still have to pay more money to extend the lease. I’ll just have to see what happens when the estate agent calls back.

As if I am not potentially about to spend vast amounts of money already, I am also going to book a flight to The Gambia today too. I spoke to my friend S’s parents and we are going to fly out there at the end of November. I managed to find a far cheaper fare than they had come up with, flying on exactly the same airline. Economising may the name of the game from here on, so I’d better start as I mean to go on. *focuses mind on the money saving rather than the extravagance of flying to The Gambia* Yep, I’m going to be good at this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, watch those estate agents !
Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck