Saturday, July 15, 2006

Late

I was hoping to sleep in late this morning but everyone else seemed to have other ideas. The exchange students got up really early and made loads of noise. Then my landlady’s son came round and was upstairs and kept shouting downstairs to his mum. Unsurprisingly sleep escaped me at this point. So I got up and made a cup of tea and went to eat a bowl of cereal, but as I poured the milk I realised it had turned to cheese. I’m hoping this hasn’t set the standard for the day.

The exchange students seem not to be the best of buddies. One is French and the other Italian so they are perhaps still carrying on the rivalry from the World Cup. They get the same bus as me to the station and whilst originally they would wait for each other to walk to the bus stop they now appear separately. Then when we get to the station there are two different routes that they can take to get to college so one of them takes one route and one the other. I guess there’s no reason why they should get on but it is amusing to watch them interact with each other (or otherwise).

I was meant to meet up with a friend at 6pm yesterday, so at about 5.30 my head of unit decided that she wanted to go through a whole load of work. On several occasions I said I needed to go and then finally at 6.30 she said “Oh do you need to go and meet someone at 6.30” and I replied “At 6 o’clock actually”. I was still at work for another 10 minutes or so while she got me to finish some work for her. I hate being late for things because it’s really rude, but fortunately my friend was still waiting for me. I had sent a couple of texts to explain I was stuck at work, but even so, it’s rude. The woman I had the monkey e-mail exchange with sent me an e-mail saying “my chimp is loading his gun” which at least kept me amused. My head of unit also seems to want me to do some more work with her, so I have no idea when I am likely to go back to my normal job, which is not ideal as my new member of staff has not even had his objectives set or a proper job description. But such things are of no interest to my head of unit, as long as I am doing the work that she needs to be done – even if that means working later on a Friday due to her poor organisation skills.

Anyway, it’s the weekend, it’s sunny and I’m going to try and forget work for a couple of days.

No comments: