Thursday, July 27, 2006

Chinese Laundry

I didn’t hear anything back from the estate agent yesterday morning and was just browsing on Right Move to sort of distract myself and saw that the property I like was under offer. Confused? So was I. I phoned the estate agent to ask what had happened and the one I had been dealing with wasn’t there. The other chap said he would get him to phone me back but then said he’d look on the database and see if he could tell me what was going on. Then he said “It’s your offer that’s been accepted. Congratulations!” I think there were just some crossed wires and in many ways the estate agent was very efficient and there was a letter waiting for me when I got home last night saying my offer had been accepted and that they had told my solicitor. They just hadn’t got round to telling me… Bizarre and they are actually a good estate agent, by far the best I have dealt with but they did miss out that vital step of actually telling me. Hmm.

Anyway, I am going into work late today so that I can go and sort out a mortgage, but that shouldn’t take too long and I’ll also have to find a surveyor at some point as well. It’s all a bit of a learning curve, but fortunately I have a really good financial adviser who is great at giving advice and a few pointers, so when I go and see him in a bit I’m sure things will make more sense then. Anyway… It seems I am going to become a home owner! I’m not counting my chickens though what with having been gazumped before.

My landlady spoke to the Chinese boys who are staying at the moment as one of them is still using my bathroom. What particularly miffed my landlady though was that he did his laundry in there (despite her leaving out a laundry basket and saying she will do it whenever they need it done) and then hanging his washing out on the gutter. She was so unimpressed and told him off and took all his washing from him. I’m still not entirely sure he understands though and probably can’t work out why he keeps getting told off for trying to keep himself and his clothes clean. Hopefully the other lad will explain to him what is going on and calm will return. The girls were so much less trouble. I do still have a pair of his stray underpants in my bathroom, but somehow am not tempted to move them. I am going to continue checking my toothbrush each day so I know that it’s dry before I use it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! woo hoo! A real life home of your own - and in London, too!

Wow... not THAT'S impressive!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news, I reaaly hope the transaction goes through smoothly for you.

'underpants in my bathroom'...
young boys,the mind boggles......

Random Reflections said...

Thanks to you both for your comments. Much appreciated.

TF- Yes... I see what you mean. It's all perfectly innocent - and that's what I'll be telling the police when they knock on my door.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could invest in a couple of wicker laundry baskets to hide the evidence.

They may come in handy in the new flat (laundry baskets.... not the chinese boys! Well maybe on second thoughts, if money is tight you could always send them out on the streets for you, just like Fagan)