Friday, October 27, 2006

Catching up

I was in Bristol all day yesterday, as I had to speak (very briefly) at a conference. That went fine and after I had done that I dashed out and got a banker’s draft which I dropped off at my solicitor’s on my way into work.

I sent a quick text to a friend when I was on the way to Bristol to see if she was free to meet up, as she worked a couple of minutes walk from the conference. Fortunately she was free and we went for a drink and a catch up before I headed back to London. I’m really glad we did, even though it meant getting home really late, as it probably would have been months before we had the chance to see each other again. We spent a while chatting about a friend of hers offering to lend her £30,000 as a deposit to buy somewhere to live. Very generous, but I said she needed to find out the terms of the deal and more importantly to consider if their friendship was strong enough to survive it if something went wrong with the arrangement somewhere along the line. Good opportunity though (this is the friend who I was going to buy with originally, so I hope she manages to sort something out).

On the way back I chatted to another friend on the phone who moved up to Yorkshire a while ago. We had a good catch up, despite losing the signal on several occasions and hopefully I will go and visit at some point next year. So it was a really nice evening of catching up with people.

The guard on the train made various announcements including telling people they needed to retain the tickets because “revenue protection barriers” were in operation. In my day, those used to be called “ticket barriers”...

No comments: