Thursday, October 19, 2006

The more things change

So, an update on work. Things can certainly be described as *different*. My boss seems utterly miserable at the moment and he is someone who normally just lets things wash over him. A couple of days ago he said to me “find me a new job will you”. I didn’t take this as a good sign.

I can rather see why he is so unhappy. Over the last few days he has had several phone calls from our old head of unit asking why he hadn’t sent her copies of various letters that he had sent out. Could the answer possibly be that she has retired and is therefore not meant to receive copies of anything let alone letters? She just kept phoning and in the end my boss just had to walk out of the office to go and do some stuff elsewhere so that he didn’t have to speak to her. But she does have his mobile number and has called that few times as well.

When I heard she was going to retire, I said to a couple of people that I thought she was a candidate for a breakdown as she would go from being busy controlling everything at work to not having very much to do – she can’t have had much of a life outside of work because she was always in the office, even at weekends. I am wondering if that is what we are beginning to see, I think she is exhibiting behaviour that shows serious mental instability.

I am still working out what my new head of unit is like, but her ferocious reputation seems to be true and she has been really nasty to my boss. Just before my old head of unit retired she had a blazing row with my new head of unit (in front of two people I work with). By all accounts it was a really awful argument including calling each other names. The atmosphere between them after that was certainly interesting and my old head of unit was told to be out by 4pm on her last day. It looks like there will be fun days ahead. Suffice to say that I think it was a wise decision to start looking for a new job.

No comments: