Monday, October 09, 2006

Move along now

Yesterday morning my landlady told me that she has accepted an offer on the house. She definitely didn’t get the asking price but she obviously wasn’t willing to tell me quite what the offer was. She has to sign some documents to say she is in a position to sell the house and that means that I also have to sign the document to say that I agree to her selling *evil laugh*. Anyway, she then said to me “How soon would you be able to move out? Can you move back in with your parents?” When the look of horror went from my face I said “Well, I’m going to be moving very soon anyway, but I’m not going to be moving back in with my parents, even if my purchase hasn’t gone through in time”. Then she said “Of course, it would be handy if you could be here right until the house is sold” Right, so basically she wants me to move out as soon as it suits her, but to stay there for as long she needs me to be about. Sounds fair to me...

I went back over to my parents’ house for lunch yesterday. My father was his usual irritating self and mum and I had been talking on Saturday about how odd he is these days. He has always been really hard work but over the last few years has just got more and more strange. You can be doing something in the kitchen and he will just stand there and stare at you doing it. He could stand there for 10 minutes and watch what you’re doing, not in an interested way, I just can’t quite describe what it’s like, and he just sort of gets fixated by watching what is going on, even if you’re just loading the dish washer – but it would never cross his mind to offer to help. He just stands there and stares. Very weird behaviour.

When I went over yesterday, mum asked me to dig a hole in the back garden. We looked at each other conspiratorially “For a shallow grave?” I asked quietly. “No, no” mum replied, laughing nervously “I need to replant a yucca.” She paused, giving me a knowing look “It’s got a lot of roots. It will have to be a very large hole.” “Of course” I replied and went off to dig a large hole. For a plant. *cough* There’s nothing to see here. Move along now. Move along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grave digger..... a bit of a drastic change of career path but maybe on second thoughts it could have possibilities...

Random Reflections said...

*laughs* Great suggestion. Right now it is actually looking very appealing.

Random Reflections said...

We're starting on the patio this weekend...