Sunday, October 29, 2006

Urges

The one day I get a chance to have an extra hours sleep for 'free' and I wake up anyway, perhaps aided by my nephew being noisy, as I am at my sister's at the moment.

I went out yesterday morning and I caught the bus home. There was a woman on the bus who was wearing quite a smart suit and was listening to music. Not only was she listening to music, but she was also singing along. Very loudly. Her talent did not extend to making most of the songs recognisable, but I did manage to pick out "Dancing Queen" from her rather dire effort. Mind you she didn't actually seem to know the words, so her very tuneless and loud singing consisted of her singing "You are the dancing Queen" then mumbling a lot then picking out an occasional word that she did remember, so suddenly you'd hear her sing "tambourine" very loudly as well. I'm hoping this is not going to turn into the new noise pollution on public transport.

Then yesterday afternoon, I went over to my sister's, as she was having a few people over to watch a DVD. I took my nephew out for a walk when I got there and left my sister to sort some stuff out. His latest word is obviously "car" because every single car we walked past, including entire rows of parked cars, he would announce that each one was, indeed, a car.

When people turned up later, he started to eat some crisps but hasn't quite perfected the art of chewing, so got a bit stuck in his throat. My sister took him to the kitchen to sort him out, at which point he projectile vomited all over the floor. I went into the kitchen to see if he was ok and he looked really glum and reached out for me to pick him up. That was, of course, a lovely gesture but he was somewhat coated in sick and wasn't smelling too sweet. So I gave him a quick wipe down with a cloth, held my breath a bit and then picked him up and gave him a cuddle. The things you have to do as an aunt.

When I get home later my landlady will either have gone or be in the final stages of packing to move to Cardiff. She is travelling light at the moment because she is just staying in someone's spare room for the first few weeks, but I can feel the urge to do some washing coming on - who would have believed that the thought of doing my washing out of the watchful gaze of an obsessive landlady could be so exciting.

No comments: