Monday, June 18, 2007

In the family

Another tiring weekend – and an extended weekend at that what with being off work on Friday. It was a good day off and I met up with my mum and sister and we went for lunch at Giraffe on the South Bank and then went to a photo exhibition. All very pleasant. Then G came over in the evening and we ate pizza and had a nice time.

Poor old G had to put up with traipsing after me as I sorted out picking up bits of furniture and contending with lots of traffic jams. The best furniture related success this weekend was going to Ikea (again… but it’s better than going to the dump) and buying the chairs to go with my table. When I got them home I realised that Ikea’s ‘beech’ is not the same as John Lewis’s ‘beech’ and so the table and chairs I had were not going to match. I took the chairs back to Ikea and exchanged them for birch ones instead because that was much more similar to the colour I needed. These were cheaper than the beech ones anyway (two thirds of the price) BUT Ikea have something called the Ikea Family and if you swipe the Ikea Family card you get a bigger discount on some products. It just so happened that the chairs in birch were on offer for people with one of those cards. So, instead of the chairs costing me £100 I paid £50. An absolute bargain.

I then put a couple of the chairs together and G and I had a very civilised bite to eat sitting at a table rather than eating off our laps. I still have a desk to put together and will do that one night this week and things will begin to look more sorted at last.

Anyway, all in all a nice weekend. It was of course Father’s day yesterday. A day that I did not mark in anyway, which has been the case for many years now. I did have a few brief moments where I felt kind of upset by it all and g was just very sweet about it and then we just got on with some other stuff and it was fine. It prompted some thoughts in my mind though which I will mull over a bit more and then may mention here.

On other matters though, here is a strangely addictive game. Of course because it is to do with google, I in no way endorse this product - but don’t get too distracted at work playing it.

No comments: