Friday, June 22, 2007

Unethically ethical

Right a few medical type things to report.

First, I seem to keep having no bleeds this week. They’re not major nosebleeds but not entirely pleasant, I’m not entirely sure what that is about.

Second, while I was away on holiday I was climbing up a hill and had to put my hand on some gorse bushes at some points. Over the last couple of weeks some blemishes have appeared on my fingers and when I have inspected them I have found that it is a splinter from the gorse bush coming to the surface. I hadn’t even known they were there.

Finally, and you may wish to look away if you are squeamish, I was talking to the chap I used to work with who had an eye operation last year. I asked him how his eye was and he said “Fine, but a couple of weeks ago I removed my contact lens and noticed that the buckle they put behind my eye to hold it in place was sticking out of the side of my eyeball”. I was a little bit speechless about this. He continued “Anyway I went to the eye hospital and he just got a pair of tweezers and just yanked the buckle out”. I told him that I was glad that things were much better but that I really wished I hadn’t asked.

Anyway… at work last night (not that I was there) but they were going to be joining in on the London Light’s Outinitiative, where basically people and big organisations turned off unnecessary lights between 9 and 10pm. It was meant to achieve some phenomenal saving in electricity, which has to be a good thing. I do actually recall some celebrity saying a while back that she was going to make it her mission to get shops to turn off their lights at night. The thing is that I thought the primary reason for shops leaving their lights on was as a security measure so that if someone broke in they could easily be spotted. I wonder if there was a surge in the burglary rates last night?

I do try and do my bit for the environment, I recycle as much stuff as I can, I turn off lights, use energy saving light bulbs, use public transport over driving etc, but if I am honest I think I am far more motivated by saving money than saving the planet. I do think it’s important to do your bit for the planet and for future generations but I don’t think I am altruistic enough to have that as my primary motivation. Does that make me the Daily Mail version of an environmentalist? I can see the headlines now “Switch off your lights – and spend the money you save flying to the USA to go bear hunting” *starts to clean gun*

No comments: