Thursday, June 14, 2007

Spot the difference

I was somewhat concerned to read an article yesterday which suggests that sometimes women look for a partner who look like their father. I sent G an e-mail with an assurance that this was not the case for me. The likeness between Nigella Lawson's father, Nigel Lawson, and husband, Charles Saatchi, is uncanny, although I guess the BBC searched for a photo that particularly illustrated the point. I also saw an article in the paper about this research and they showed a photo of Zoe Ball's father, Johnny Ball, and husband, Norman Cook and again the likeness was striking.

I have to say that I would be utterly horrified to discover that my criteria in someone to go out with was in anyway connected to wanting them to emulate my father. If I was looking for someone who has a drink problem, is unreasonable and very self-absorbed then someone like my father would be ideal. Otherwise perhaps not... It's no secret that I do not get on with my father and I would hope that he would influence me to the degree of making me want to be sure that anyone I went out with was in no way similar. I think that to date we can safely say that has been the case.

I tend to like people who are very kind and gentle and are willing to talk about things and are just reasonable. I have to say that G does actually match these qualities well and is just a very decent sort, which is good.

Anyway lets look at some family resemblances.

Nigella Lawson is married to Charles Saatchi:



Her father is Nigel Lawson:



Zoe Ball is married to Norman Cook:




Her father is Johnny Ball:



I think it's the smile that must have done it.



Marge Simpson is married to Homer Simpson:



Her father is Clancy Bouvier:



Note the similar colouring, the shape of the eyes and the nose.

Katie Holmes is married to Tom Cruise:



This is her father:



Uncanny.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

awh, Katie's father is cute.

Soup said...

heheheh. Very good :P

Random Reflections said...

Hello hellojed - You can see why Katie would have looked for someone like her father.

blue soup - I aim to amuse...