Friday, June 08, 2007

With this rock...

While I was on holiday I fulfilled my duty of bringing back edible items for people in my office. This included purchasing something suitable for my colleague R who was away on holiday in the rather more exciting destination of Athens. He had said to me that he would bring me back a rock – sadly not alluding to diamonds but an *actual* rock - so I told him I would bring him back some sheep poo. True to his word on his return to work he whipped a small piece of rock out of his pocket and wove a story about all the people throughout history who may have walked across that very piece of rock that came from some famous Greek historical site. In return I handed him some sheep poo of an edible nature*.

After we had exchanged our gifts my colleagues then broke the news to me that the exchange of sheep poo and a rock mean that you are *actually* then married. It is apparently an ancient ritual that binds the two of you together in an unbreakable bond. I did protest due to being unaware of this rite, but was told that there is no escape - the deed is done. I have therefore asked them for a dishwasher as a wedding present, as I figure G might not be quite so willing to fulfil the one month anniversary gift given that I have accidentally married someone. I’m not willing to give up on the prospect of getting a dishwasher without a fight though, so am trying to make the most of my slight faux pas.

As I had not already broken the news to G of my marriage, we still went out to dinner last night to celebrate our one month anniversary. We went to a very nice Lebanese restaurant and had a good meal. The waiter was very funny and flirted with anyone and everyone and at times it felt a bit as though we were round at his house for the evening. At one point he switched off all the lights and just said “I’m bored with you all now. I don’t want to see you.” We all sat there in the dark wondering what he was going to do and then some music started and we all had to sing happy birthday to a somewhat embarrassed fellow customer. It was very amusing, although I am not sure she agreed. Anyway, a nice evening and I’m hoping it may have encouraged G to buy me the dishwasher.


*Therefore not actual sheep poo. That very amusing Welsh sense of humour means that you can purchase chocolate covered raisins under the guise of them being sheep poo. There is also a range of dragon, seagull and other such creatures’ excrement on sale. Delicious.

No comments: