Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It's who you know...

So I’m back and in one piece. It was actually a very good trip and I was staying in a great hotel with amazing views. That was just lovely and an ideal place to stay for a romantic break (not that that is what I was on, this was a work trip).

Anyway, let me just rant about all the irritating things that happened. So… I got up just gone 6am on Monday morning and a taxi picked me up at 7am. I had checked in online the night before and so just had to go straight to the gate, as I try and carry everything as hand luggage when I go away with work. So I went through the search area but got stopped because they noticed there were some scissors in my wash kit (oops...). As the chap was searching my bag he took various items out and when he had finished I put them back and continued my journey.

It was only later that I wondered where my work mobile was and when I searched for it, I realised that I didn’t have it, despite knowing that I had set off with it that morning and actually seeing it when the guy searched my bag. In the end I had to conclude that my phone was still back in London and hadn’t made it back into my bag when they finished searching my bag. I tried to phone the airport to find out if they had it but couldn’t get any reply and in the end had to give up. I spoke to someone else that I was away with and a while later he said to me that he thought he knew someone who could help. A few phone calls later someone was on the case of recovering my phone and had a full description and said they’d let me know progress. By the time I flew back last night they’d found the phone and I walked off the plane and there was someone (a complete stranger, I might add) to meet me who handed my phone back to me. I did offer them a present for all their hard work but they assured me that they couldn’t possibly accept and said that they’d just been pleased that they could help and off they wandered. Amazing!

The other downsides to the trip were that I had breakfast about 6.30am on Monday morning and whoever had arranged the plans had failed to factor in lunch and so apart from a couple of biscuits at lunch time to keep me going, I didn’t eat again until gone 8pm. I felt really rough by then and ended up going to bed early because I had such a headache and generally wasn’t feeling too great. Remember people, I need to be regularly fed!

I did actually have a biscuit and a cup of tea when I got back to the hotel in the evening. BUT, I had to get them to get me some fresh biscuits as the packet that was in the room was open and one of the biscuits was half eaten. Taking into account that this was a four star hotel, I did think that was pretty poor – and I don’t think I have experienced that in *any* hotel previously. I also thought that the toilet smelt of vomit, which was not entirely pleasant and was particularly unwelcome as I was feeling ill anyway. While I was away I actually struggled to drink tea, yesterday just the thought of it made me feel sick. Folks, that is a serious matter, as I think tea is the best drink in the whole wide world.

Anyway, despite all that it was a really good couple of days and the venue and the views were actually fantastic. It’s funny how it’s always the bad things that we comment on though.

No comments: