Thursday, May 04, 2006

Just put a cross in the box

So today is a day to cast your vote. Or I assume it is, but I seem to think it depends on where you live in the UK. Anyway, in London there are elections today, so here you can vote. Except I have to confess that I think it is very unlikely that I will. Mainly due to laziness at the thought of having to go back to where I used to live in order to cast my vote, as I am still on the electoral roll there.

When I moved to the last place I lived I got the form to get transferred on the electoral roll but as I was about to fill it in, I found out I was going to have to move again and so didn’t fill it out. Then I moved to where I am now and got another form, filled it out and then couldn’t remember whether I’d sent it off or not. I even phoned the council to ask them and after the woman stopped laughing at me she said she’d send me another form. But by then it was too late to get it sent back in time to vote and in fact I think I’m going to get myself put back on the electoral roll where my parents live, seeing as I seem to move so often. Seems like less hassle and I need to make sure I am on the electoral roll as it affects your credit rating and they’ll check that if I apply for a mortgage.

Anyway, I do usually vote. I have always voted in general elections and mayoral elections and so on and would normally vote in local elections, and just typing those words makes me feel really guilty at the thought of not voting. So maybe I will, but as I head home from work tonight and my mind wanders to eating my dinner and then when I settle down on the sofa in front of the TV, somehow I think I might convince myself otherwise. I’d carry out some research into ‘voter apathy’ but, to be honest, I just can’t be bothered.

No comments: