Sunday, May 21, 2006

Moving Times

Well, I had a really good day out yesterday which helped to clear some of the cobwebs out of my brain. I had a particularly successful time shopping. I got some new headphones for my radio, a couple of pairs of trousers for work and bought some DVDs. One of those DVDs was Running on Empty, which was being sold as part of HMV’s 3 for £18 offer. Bargain! Until now I have had a slightly fuzzy copy of it taped off BBC2 probably a good ten years ago and the soundtrack isn’t great in places, so I was really pleased to get it on DVD. Simple things...

I met up with my friend L and we had a really good catch up and it turns out that Running on Empty is one of her favourite films, and we were both kind of surprised that the other one liked it so much. Anyway, we ate some food, went for a wander and put the world to rights. It was a good evening. However, she really is between homes at the moment and apparently has been for a whole. She is living in youth hostels moving from place to place, which she is finding really difficult, particularly as she finds sleeping almost impossible. I did speak to her about seeing if she could stay where I live for a bit but it would be such a trek for her to get to work that she doesn’t think it would help.

It turns out my landlady came back early as she realised her ex-husband was going to be visiting her son for the weekend. They don’t speak and, even if they did, sharing the guest room didn’t seem ideal. Apparently at the interview on Thursday they offered her a range of jobs and so she is going to decide by Monday which one to take. She’s all set to move though and reckons she’ll be gone within three months. It also seems that her parents are moving with her, so they now need to put their house on the market.

She wants me to stay on in the house until it is sold and she thinks that might take some time. So from that point of view it should actually make things easier for me, but I still need to get on with buying somewhere. She also mentioned something about reallocating the rooms, which I think means I will end up with a different bedroom, but I am not entirely sure what she has in mind.

Maybe I am overly picky but when I got home tonight she had sorted out my washing and done my ironing. I’m not entirely sure I want her going through my underwear and there is something which is a bit like she thinks she is my mother – but I already have one of those and wasn’t really looking to acquire a new one. It was nice of her to do my ironing, but I feel as though she is being a bit controlling in some of the stuff that she is doing. I also thought I had kind of mastered the slightly crumpled look. Anyway, if you want your ironing done, do drop it round and I’ll see what I can sort out for you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes please... I've piles of ironing, I'm sure they are having offspring as new bundles are appearing daily. Maybe I should look into employing a house keeper....

Random Reflections said...

Breeding clothes... worrying... but must save a fortune if you then have to buy less clothes.

I forgot to say that she actually ironed creases down the sleeves of my work shirts - am I in the military?? Almost as bad as ironing creases down the front of jeans.

*Thinks* Actually, forget my landlady doing your ironing, I'd do it for you if you'd bump her off for me. Sounds like a fair deal to me - a killing in the name of humanity in return for some ironing.

Anonymous said...

Sprinkle me with some of your invisible potion and maybe just maybe we have a deal ....

Random Reflections said...

If I chose the invisibility method that didn't require you wearing clothes then I could get out of doing your ironing.

*thinks* There is something slightly morally wrong with my comment. Apologies!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! Cheeky little monkey... (I'll put it down to sunstroke)

Random Reflections said...

It must have been the monkeys in Gibraltar leading me astray.