Wednesday, May 10, 2006

War Zones

Well, it looks like I might need to take that sicky day if things carry on the way they are at work. I had to go and speak to my ex-manager yesterday as he wanted to talk to me about the appraisals that had been submitted for a couple of members of my team. Basically my head of unit saw the reports and rejected them, as she didn’t think the people deserved the high box marking they got.

I sat there and argued on behalf of both of the people, although admittedly far more strongly for one of them than the other. Then I went and spoke to one of them, S, to explain the problem and will talk to the other one tomorrow. S is the one who made the comment the other day about gunning down his colleagues. I don’t suppose this will help, although in the current circumstances I wouldn’t blame him.

I just find it galling to think that he might not be seen as deserving a high box marking. I asked my ex-boss what more S could have done to have therefore deserved it but he didn’t reply. Some of the problem comes from the fact that our director has said that he wants less high box markings. My head of unit is the sort of person that if you set a target of 10% she will make sure she achieves 15% because she constantly seems to need to prove herself. I have never met anyone with that much power who is quite so insecure. It affects her ability to manage staff fairly or decently. Achieving the target is more important than doing the right thing.

I look at what S has done and he is always willing to do far more than is required of him. He did a whole load of extra work last year and because he got paid overtime for it my head of unit refused to let him have a bonus. She said he had just done his job. Working all night on a few occasions, sometimes after having worked all day, does not strike me as just having done your job.

S says he will speak to our director to make his case if necessary and I told him that if that’s what he wants to do then he should and I’ll speak to him as well. S thinks that our head of unit basically has it in for him as she thinks he wrote some of the comments in the staff survey (which he didn’t). Maybe he’s right. I don’t know. But there could be war brewing over this.

There’s a job possibility out in Kabul at the moment. Perhaps I should apply for it because it sounds preferable to the war zone in which I currently work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee aren't some people just pillocks...don't they realise they are gonna be dead one day....Hey, maybe sooner than they think if S goes mad !! Hang on in there, girl

Random Reflections said...

I can but hope he is currently polishing his gun.

If you hear gunshots over Central London feel free to give a cheer.

Anonymous said...

The bastards! They want to cut down the number of high box marks? Well, the company would not be performing nearly as well if people weren't putting in the effort to get all those high box marks.

I've never worked for a company that gives bonuses. But I'd be mighty peeved.. And I'd be polishing my gun, too (if I had one). Or I'd be training my pet rottweiler. Maybe you should check whether items of clothing have gone missing from the office? Could he have a deadly dog stashed somewhere he is training to kill based on scent?

Random Reflections said...

What a fantastic thought that a dog may be being trained somewhere to avenge.

Although it could just be trained to track my head of unit by the hairspray that she sprays on her hair about a dozen times a day.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should replace the hairspry with a can of nerve gas.
Hair today gone tomorrow !

Random Reflections said...

Excellent suggestion!

I am truly impressed by the standard of suggestions on how to get rid of my head of unit.

Should you read any suspiciously familiar stories in the newspaper in coming weeks, deny everything...