Friday, May 19, 2006

Sometimes I think I'm invisible

I had my end of year appraisal this week (really it is May, but the reporting year from April to April and then there is a bit of leeway on getting the forms in. Anyway…) It went fairly well but the only slight criticism I got was that I am not a tough enough manager. He said that I am a supportive manager and stick up for my staff but need to be more demanding of them. It was only afterwards that I thought I should have said that because people in my team were given such hard time by both my manager and, more particularly, my head of unit, that it just never seemed great for morale for me to be really pushy as well. As I seemed to spend a lot of time stopping staff from walking out or giving them a chance to vent so that they didn’t go and punch my boss, I actually think I did quite well.

I have spent some of this wondering if I am just so inconsequential that I might actually be invisible. What with my landlady seeming to think that she can go into my room and reorganise it and also talking to my sister yesterday and feeling a bit as though what I wanted was entirely irrelevant. My sister phoned me at work to dad was still not going to be discharged from hospital. We spoke about that for a couple of minutes and then I said that I hadn’t been too impressed by my sister talking about some stuff in front of my parents which I had specifically asked her not to. She just sighed at me and told me I was being ridiculous and pathetic and then she decided she couldn’t be bothered to speak to me anymore so finished the conversation. I just seem to be going through a phase where what I might want is not seen as very important. I hope this doesn’t continue to be a theme.

But it made me wonder, what if I actually was invisible? Would that complement my other super power of mesmerising small children with my voice? Would it be a good thing to be invisible? I think being able to go to the cinema without paying or maybe getting on a flight to somewhere in the world without having to book could be good, although I’d have to be careful no-one accidentally sat on me. But what if I stepped into the road without looking? I think I could well come to an untimely end. Also, would I still have to wear clothes? I suspect that it would still be kind of chilly so wearing them would be a good idea. But when invisible people wear clothes, are their clothes invisible too? I think there are some flaws I would need to iron out before going down this route, but I know what you’re thinking: How could I deprive the world of someone this good looking? You’re too kind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there are a few ways to do the whole invisibility thing.. There's the 'Invisible Man' - who has to be naked, because his clothes show. Or there's the Harry Potter way - get an invisibility cloak. And you can wear clothes.

Then there's the Head Witch's way in the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. She doesn't have any props. She just makes herself so small and 'unimportant', that nobody notices she is there. It's quite a skill.

And I'm sure Derren Brown could tell you how to do it.... And then you could bump off your landlady AND your bosses and technically not be there at all!

Random Reflections said...

Excellent advice on invisibility there. So it seems you have to sign up for a particular "school of invisibility".

They each have a certain appeal, I can see I will have to put a lot of thought into this. I think one where I could wear clothes would be good though. Despite being invisible I think I need to maintain some standards, particularly if I accidentally became visible again.