Monday, May 22, 2006

Monkeying about

It’s time to escape wet and windy London for a couple of days and head off to Gibraltar. I am in work this morning and then off to Gatwick at lunch time for my flight. I was talking to a friend on the phone yesterday and said that I was going to Gibraltar to tickle a monkey, but concluded that sounded way too much like a euphemism for something else.

I am actually going there to give a talk tomorrow that will last about twenty minutes, but don’t fly back until Wednesday afternoon. I have prepared some slides and am going to speak without notes rather than reading a speech because I have given a similar speech several times before and to be honest it was a bit boring. So I’m going to be daring, as hopefully the panic when I lose my train of thought will make the talk sound more exciting and dynamic.

Anyway, so there really will be monkeys in Gibraltar, or apes to be more accurate. Apparently at the hotel there are notices up warning guests not to leave the windows open as they will climb in. Now that would be quite something to wake up to in the morning.

The temperature is due to be low to mid-twenties and sunny. What can I tell you? It’s a hardship but someone has to do it. I doubt very much I will have the opportunity to post anything while I am away, but somehow I suspect you might be relieved to have some brief respite from my rantings about my landlady (must think of a suitable name for her and “evil landlady” is already taken). Let me tell you, her obsession yesterday with telling whether my washing was dry or not and whether there was enough space left on the clothes airer for any more clothes was going to be a truly fabulous post, but I reckon you’ll cope. Anyway, be good and no tickling any monkeys.

No comments: