Thursday, September 06, 2007

Connected

Yesterday’s journey into work was long but much better than the previous day. I did feel there was a certain irony when the tube train I was on stopped at a station for several minutes because it was running ahead of schedule though… I couldn’t be bothered to cram on to a packed tube for the final bit of my journey to work so I walked the last 20 minutes and strolled into work all refreshed and revived. No chocolate supplies needed – although someone did give me a really delicious chocolate caramel slice. I ate it. Just to be polite.

I seemed to spend quite a bit of time last night sorting out my computer. Yesterday morning it stopped connecting to the internet and I was hoping it was a temporary glitch but it was still the same when I got home from work. I tried various things and in the end I had to phone my ISP and ask them to look into it. They were actually really good – no hanging on a phone line waiting for them to answer, they picked up the phone and I explained the problem and then they ran through various things and monitored my modem remotely and within about five minutes it was all fixed. I was really impressed.

I went out on my lunch break yesterday and while I was wandering about G phoned me on my mobile.

Me: Hello
G: Hello. Where are you?
Me: Just having a wander at the shops near where I work… *voice trails off*
G: *slightly suspicious* Where exactly are you?
Me: Erm, well, I just visited a particular shop, but I know what you’ll say if I tell you where…
G: *sound of thinking* Are you at John Lewis?
Me: *slightly ashamed* No, it’s the other one…
G: *exasperated* You’re at Robert Dyas! You really are having an affair with Robert Dyas aren’t you! If it’s not John Lewis then it’s Robert Dyas.
Me: They mean nothing to me and no money even changed hands between us. It was just a quickie.
G: That really helps.

Some people browse shops for nice clothes or go for a coffee on their lunch break. I hang out with John Lewis and Robert Dyas. Worrying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh but john lewis do *the* best cakes

Random Reflections said...

me - Hi, or is that 'you, hi'... He does make exceedingly good cakes - oh hang on that's Mr Kipling... I did have a very nice scone and jam at John Lewis recently and he also makes a *very* nice banana cake. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robert Dyas ROCKS man! You can get JML products in Robert Dyas! THat's a reason for existence in itself!!

We love JML :) And oh no - Greggs do THE best cakes in the WORLD. Well... the best custard slices anyway..