Monday, September 10, 2007

Disturbed

I could just scream. I repainted my front door yesterday. Or I at least tried to, but it just ended up looking utterly appalling. To me it looks like when someone has really badly varnished something (except I’ve painted it which makes it even worse that it looks as though it is badly varnished. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!). Anyway… tonight I will put another coat of paint on in the hope that it will miraculously look much better. I just cannot work out why it has ended up looking so bad, but if I can’t fix it be putting on another coat I guess I’ll just have to try and paint it darker in the hope that this will cover up the bad finish.

Despite all that, I did actually have a nice weekend. G and I went to the New Piccadilly Café for dinner on Friday night, which was really nice. It’s not exactly the most exotic food, but it really is stepping back in time to go there. You can have the standard fry up or an omelette or various items with an Italian influence (I think the owner is Italian) . However… you will need to be quick because I think it is closing forever on 22 September so if you want to experience a small piece of history you need to get on with it. It’s on Denman Street which is just off Piccadilly Circus, in case you are interested.

On Saturday G and I went for another walk and did our 10,000 steps again. I had actually gone out in the morning and bought G a pedometer, so this time we actually had proof that we had walked that far. It wasn’t as nice a walk as the precious time but it was fine anyway. In the evening we watched ‘Hide and Seek’ which is the Robert De Niro film and it has to be said that I found the film really creepy. There were bits of it that didn’t quite make sense, but it was quiet disturbing nonetheless. In the film Robert De Niro’s character kept having bad dreams that were flashbacks to various things that had happened. Then he would suddenly wake up and when he looked at the clock, each time it was 2.06am. I woke up in the early hours of Sunday morning and when I looked at the clock it was 2.06am… Disturbing indeed…

Of course this weekend’s news was dominated by the McCann family. First them being names as suspects in their daughters disappearance and then them returning to the UK. Not that it matters, but personally I haven’t heard anything that suggests that they are responsible for her disappearance. I also think that it is so difficult to compare our legal system with that in Portugal that it seems very difficult to see what the moves by the Portuguese authorities actually mean. I just get more of a feeling of the Portuguese clutching at straws in order to try and solve the case, rather than them necessarily having any actual evidence. To lose your child must be hard enough without then being accused of being the guilty party (assuming you are innocent). I can see that they would want to come back to the UK, even if just briefly and lets hope that what ever the truth is about what happened to Madeleine McCann that the truth comes out soon.

4 comments:

Spudgy said...

Try giving the door a very light sanding before you apply another coat.

DAB said...

Yes listen to Spudgy it's all in the preparation Random.

Irene said...

Give it a real good sanding, because it sounds like it really needs it. A light sanding may not do it. Good luck with the next coat of paint. My DIY days are over, but I used to be bit by that bug regularly.

Random Reflections said...

Thanks to you all for the advice - however, I've ignored all of you and have stripped the door. I think it was going to need more than a bit of a sanding to get it looking vaguely ok - unless doors are meant to be all bumpy in some places....