Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Sifting

What a day yesterday… My journey to work consisted of a bus, a bus, an over ground train, an underground train, an underground train, a walk. It took me two hours to get to work (but I did get a seat for 99% of it, unlike most people who were crammed in like sardines – although, having said that, the Northern Line was half empty which felt very weird at that time of day).

My journey home consisted of a bus, an underground train, an over ground train, an over ground train, a bus, a bus. It took me just under two hours to get home. I got home feeling really hungry so immediately ate my dinner and then… cracked open an Easter Egg. Desperate times people, desperate times. Anyway it seems the striek has now been called off, it's just that the trains still aren't running. Jolly good...

I’m meeting up with someone at wok today to go through some applications for a job and choose the people we will interview. Two of the forms were utterly appalling. I am sort of tempted to put in their feedback that they need to go on a course to learn how to fill out an application form (meaning that in a constructive way). We’re actually going through this process to try and sort out someone’s job so that they are formally promoted, so it all feels a bit of a farce in some ways - but without the outcome actually being a foregone conclusion, as she does actually have to prove that she is up to the job, pass some exams etc. Anyway, her application was so much better than everyone else’s so that was a relief.

One of the really bad candidates phoned yesterday to find out what was going on, as she hadn’t heard anything. Except she didn’t phone me, she ended up speaking to my boss because she hadn’t kept a copy of the job description which had my contact details on, so had no idea who to contact and instead had to phone and try and find out who she needed to speak to based on the little information she could remember. I was totally unimpressed by her application (and had I been her line manager I would have strongly recommended that she consider rewriting it) and even less impressed that she didn’t even bother to keep a copy of the job description or a note of who to contact. She will not be making it through the sift.

3 comments:

Irene said...

Such dedication to get to and from work, well, then you do deserve some chocolate, don't you?

I come here every day, but don't always comment, but I am here, reading you faithfully.

DAB said...

Have I read this right .....
"CRACKED OPEN AN EASTER EGG"...
Holy Moses, Praise the Lord, I just knew she could do it! Temptation caught up with you then? Was it mouldy? ......

Random Reflections said...

sweet irene - I really did deserve it or might have slipped into a coma, I was so tired by the time I got home from work... Thanks for dropping by.

TF - Yes! It's true! I just needed a fix after having battled my way home in a tube strike. It wasn't mouldy but it was passed its prime. I've eaten Easter eggs *much* older than that in the passed and they've been fine. Cadbury's isn't what it used to be...

There's still half of it to go plus the two Cadbury's caramels that came with it.