Friday, September 14, 2007

Thinking time

It’s Friday again and not a moment too soon. I have actually been sleeping really well this week and have been feeling so much more wide awake than I have for ages. I think spending so much time in the evening decorating that it has made me tired by the time it comes to going to bed.

My front door is now ready for painting, so tomorrow morning I will bite the bullet and give it a go. I have a plan B and possible a plan C if it all goes wrong… It has to be said that I will feel really down about it if it ends up still looking a mess. This has taken a lot of work and I am genuinely concerned it will be for nothing.

Anyway… today I am having lunch with someone that I used to work with (and works with A actually). He sent me an e-mail last week complaining that we hadn’t seen each other for so long so we’re going for a Chinese and a catch up. Then tonight I am meeting up with a friend from uni and going out for dinner. We have a few things to talk about tonight and I think it could be a challenging evening for both of us!

An opportunity has also come up at work which my head of unit is keen for me to do, but my immediate boss is not so keen, which would mean working temporarily for the big chief of where I work 9as n who heads up thw whole organisation rather than just where I work *gulp*). My boss is a nice chap and isn’t trying to stop me doing it if I really want to, he just thinks the timing isn’t right in terms of the work we have coming up. I need to think about it all though. She’s female and having had two female bosses who have been an utter nightmare perhaps I should be wary of this, but she seems like a decent sort so really it come down to whether I want to work the hours that it would involve – and it is also one of those things that could make or break your career (what career? I ask myself!), so it is a big decision for that reason as well. I think I probably have a couple of weeks to say what I want to do. If I say nothing then the opportunity will probably just pass me by, so it’s up to me to speak up if I really want to do it. Time to get my thinking cap on.

3 comments:

Spudgy said...

Can we have a photo of the finished door please?!
Working for a female boss is tough but I find having a good clear chat first is worthwhile. I tend to find female bosses are more into image than substance. But if its a short term experience in different work it may well be worth while. :-)

Random Reflections said...

Spudgy - perhaps I'll wait to see the end result before committing to post a photo...

I'm pondering the work thing and e-mailed someone I know who already works for her and she reckoned that the job would be hard work but the big boss is a "breath of fresh air", which is encouraging.

Of course, I am actually a female boss and as far as I am aware everyone who has worked for me has always thought I was a nice manager, so I am actually tarring myself with this brush...

Irene said...

Whenever I put my thinking cap on, I know that I have already made up my mind and I am just finalizing the decision. Usually I don't need any more input then from anyone else. So I am not going to advise you, but tell you to follow your gut instincts. You'll make the right decision, just like you did about the door.