Monday, September 03, 2007

Organised

I had another nice weekend. G and I met up after work on Friday night and headed back to my place. When we meet up we tend to end up eating later than I would normally and I am one of those people who needs to be fed regularly and so I had planned ahead… As we sat on the tube on the way home I whipped out a couple of Tunnocks logs for us to snack on and then when we had finished those I pulled out a Chinese take away menu and we sat on the tube and decided what we would each have for dinner and then I phoned from the tube and ordered it – so when we got to the station we just had to nip down the road and there was dinner waiting for us to collect. Perfect!

Saturday we decided to try and get in out 10000 steps so we went for a couple of hour’s walk in a park. That was good in itself but it also meant that G and I just chatted for a couple of hours with no distractions or chores to be done. We just made the most of the sunshine and spent a bit of time with each other. In the evening we had a really nice dinner and watched the end of the Euro dance thing, which was a truly appalling programme and the commentators were so irritating and took it far too seriously. Where’s Terry Wogan when you need him – at least he understands that most countries in Europe hate us and so would never vote for us!

G has got quite a lot of stuff to get used to at the moment what with a new job etc so yesterday we spent a bit of time doing some mindmapping. Not that I am an expert on this but I think it is a good way to break down things in to more manageable size chunks and to workout how you are going to deal with them. We started with a pen and paper but then I found a website where you can create mind maps, which was useful because it meant we could revise it if some of the connections didn’t seem quite right etc. I then did used it on a couple of other things after G had gone and so that was good. Whilst I wouldn’t say that mind mapping is necessarily as revolutionary as the creator suggests, I can certainly see that it suits the way my brain works and is a useful tool (although perhaps not the only one) to deal with tasks, ideas, revise for exams etc.

G was meant to be paid on Friday but the money didn’t come through as it had been paid into someone else’s account. G’s work was very unhelpful and it seems they won’t be able to sort it out for over a week(!). If this happened to someone who worked for me, I would have kicked up such a fuss and insisted that they made an emergency payment, but it seems they don’t do that where G works. So instead I have lent G the money, which I don’t mind but surely most employers would see that they have a primary duty to ensure that they do actually pay their staff?? I know that G will repay the money but we were talking over the weekend about how I lent A a not inconsiderable sum of money due to a short term financial problem. I had said A could just have the money, but A insisted on repaying it and that it was only a loan but when it came to it I didn’t ever get the money back (I’m sure for a whole array of reasons, not least because things then got very difficult between us and owing some money was very inconsequential by comparison and it probably just never even crossed A’s mind). G was quite mad about this but I explained that I was never that fussed about the money itself, what bothered me was that A had insisted on a particular course of action and had then not followed it through - the money in itself is just one of those things and I know that it isn’t down to dishonesty or some such thing. I think A would actually be quite mortified about not having given it back.

Anyway, I’d never ask for the money back, not because we are not in contact(!), but because I don’t think you should ever give/ lend money to someone if the money is more important to you than the person. If, for whatever reason, they then don’t repay it, it could forever damage your relationship and people should always be more important. I guess it’s a matter of only lend money to people you trust and don’t lend it if you’re not willing to let it go.

Enough of such things yesterday afternoon I got a call from a friend from uni who works in Bangladesh and he is back in the country for a week or so and wanted to meet up. So he dropped in for a cuppa last night and we had a bit of a catch up. I don’t think I had seen him for about three years so it was really nice to have catch up and then I drove him over to another friend’s house and dropped him off there. So it was a busy weekend and now I’m going back to work for a rest… Oh and it’s September – how did that happen??

No comments: