Monday, February 13, 2006

Guilty pleasures

I was talking to someone at work about the huge amount of money she must spend each week on driving into work. Not only is there the petrol costs of sitting in queues for ages but also the £8 per day congestion charge. That quickly mounts up. But she said to me that it’s her little luxury in life and then said that surely I must have one. I thought about it and couldn’t really think of one. I don’t really have some guilty pleasure that I spend my money on - buying a flat screen television doesn’t count. That was a necessity...

I did used to spend quite a lot of money on books but have tried to cut right back as I just don’t have any space for them. I don’t really like shopping generally and have no particular interest in browsing for clothes and so on. It is a good job that I am not a shopaholic, as I don't have space for anything much at all where I live now.

But I do think I need to find a ‘guilty pleasure’ something that is a bit of a reward to myself, or a pick me up on a bad day. I think maybe it would have to be something food related, partly because I just really like food and any excuse to eat is good. But on a practical level, it is consumed so hopefully wouldn’t take up too much space – although if I consume too much of it, I might end up taking up more space of course. Or maybe some kind of tea type drink. You definitely cannot beat a really good cup of tea (none of those ‘fruit teas’ though which to me is just not tea, but some weird flavoured hot water).

Is that completely uninspired though? Should a guilty pleasure be something more than a cup of tea? Somehow I suspect it should be... I would sometimes have a biscuit with it, when I was feeling particularly daring. Maybe even a chocolate one. I know how to live on the edge.

6 comments:

The Gripes of Wrath said...

For hardcore biscuit action, I recommend this.
& any pleasure that creates guilt is a guilty pleasure, after all...

30-Something said...

My guilt pleasure of the week was cycling through a little wooded area on Sunday. It's my small reward for a hard work out. Guilty pleasures are horses for courses. Or is it courses for horses? Point being, let yours be whatever you want it to be. Although a cup of tea is well lame.. ;)

Random Reflections said...

I know, I know, I should be able to think of something better than a cup of tea. I'll try... It might just mean expanding the biscuit range though.

I am ashamed to admit I can't actually ride a bike, so would only be able to try your guilty pleasure if I can use a tricycle or bike with stabilisers.

30-Something said...

What's wrong with people of my generation? Gawd! I mean, ffs, didn't you grow up on a Grifter or a Chopper? Well, I didn't either, I had the kiddie version of each which was a Striker and a Budgie. But I cooled my Budgie up with a horn that had 3 buttons each sounding like the emergency services and an old aerial off one of my Dad's cars.

I know loads of people who claim they can't ride a bike or swim. Were they all too busy watching Dr Who and Blakes 7 instead of playing out til it got dark? Pfft!!

Anonymous said...

Guilty pleasures. Should be something that's a pleasure, that you don't normally do, because it makes you feel guilty. Maybe... buying a brand new book instead of going to the charity shop. Or buying some extra nice coffee.

I have many guilty pleasures. Problem is, they're not there just for when I 'deserve' them. I do them all the time. Gotta work on that one then..

Random Reflections said...

I suspect I didn't learn to ride a bike because my dad never got round to teaching me - wew were both probably watching far too much TV. I have thought about learning because there is a place in London that teaches adults. Maybe one day. But I'd be kind of scared of cycling in London anyway.

I can just about swim - or I at least don't automatically sink in water.

Lemonpillows, actually, I think you're probably right. It should be about doing something out of the ordinary, but as I seem to live my entire life by routine it might be a tall order.

I have so much work to do...