Monday, February 20, 2006

Losing my marbles

I think I am beginning to lose my marbles. I went to give someone a hand with some stuff yesterday, except as it turned I was a month early. A whole month! Oops. It was useful for me to be there anyway, but I could have got up a bit later had I realised.

I still seem to not be getting as much sleep as I need and I am back on call again this week so that doesn’t help. I really need at least eight hours and can cope for a couple of days on less than that, but that fuzzy feeling you get in your head when you haven’t got enough sleep is horrible. I have a friend who gets one to two hours of sleep a night and constantly feels like that. I don’t know how she copes.

I also am not really up to speaking when I get up in the morning. I don’t normally have any caffeine until I get into the office and don’t find it very easy to be coherent. To be honest just don’t really want to say anything at all until I have drunk a cup of tea (and caught up on some blog reading). My landlady is really chatty in the morning and often attempts conversation while I am in the kitchen eating my breakfast. I think it would be too rude to ask her to stop talking to me, but I just want to operate on auto-pilot until I get on the tube and then doze until I get into the office.

A couple of years ago I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I wanted to go to the loo. The next thing I knew I was lying face down on my bedroom floor in a lot of pain. I think I must have got out of bed to go to the loo and fallen back to sleep while I was walking to my bedroom door. I ended up with a massive bruise on one of my legs and did something really painful to all the muscles in my neck. Because I hadn’t realised I was falling, I didn’t put my hands out to break my fall and the consequences were particularly painful. I still managed to go into work but every evening could hardly move my head and lay on the sofa and took painkillers. So it seems I can’t always stay awake long enough to go to the toilet. I think that is probably very weird, particularly as I was entirely sober…

No comments: