Friday, February 10, 2006

Time keeping

I have to say that I found writing yesterday’s post strangely cathartic. Maybe it was a way to empty my head a bit instead of letting myself get weighed down by the winter blues. Anyway, it helped, whatever the reason. So we’ll see what other songs I can dig up from the recesses of my mind in due course.

Anyway on other matters, my Head of Unit gets more annoying - please let it be true that she is leaving! Yesterday morning she said to me that the section I work in needs to be staffed from 8am. We already have people on call out of hours and I have no idea what on earth cannot wait until 9am anyway. My personal thoughts are that it is actually that she wants to be able to ask whoever is in to do things for her. As she cannot use a computer or switch on her own TV, I think it is an excuse to get someone running round after her until her secretary gets in. Someone in my team usually gets in at 7.30am (out of choice and then goes home really early) but is on leave for a month and I think this is my Head of Unit’s way of getting someone else to be her dogsbody.

However the thing that really made my jaw drop this week was when someone in my section was summoned from the toilet because our Head of Unit wanted to speak to her. C was in the toilet and someone was sent in to knock on the cubicle door and ask her to go back to the office. Unbelievable! Now we can’t even have a wee without being disturbed. Instead of going straight back to the office C went and made a cup of tea and then wandered back in. Good on her, I say.

My landlady is actually away this weekend so I have the place to myself. That’s quite handy as it gives me the chance to turn the heating up. I live in a really old house and whilst my bedroom is generally nice and warm the living room is extremely cold. It’s not that my landlady is tight with the heating I think she is just used to the temperature, although she does often have an open fire at the weekend. However, the cat seems to keep stalking me, which might be because I cooked some fish for dinner last night. In fact I found the cat licking the plate I had defrosted the fish on. It’s a good job I spotted this because I was going to eat my dinner off the same plate.

I actually have no idea what I am doing this weekend at the moment. I had invited a friend over for lunch on Sunday but he hasn’t replied and beyond that I hadn’t really thought about what to do. I have a few bits in mind though, including maybe going out to buy a nice flat screen TV...

No comments: