Friday, February 10, 2006

Tedium and ravings

I read an article on the BBC today about blogging and have to say I was slightly perplexed by it. It just didn’t match with my perception of a lot of the blogs out there – not that I somehow have an amazing insight into the world of blogging.

Maybe I am completely off beam and just operate in a very limited world of blogging, but I read a fair few, a number of which don’t appear on the side menu (not sure why…) and just generally keep an eye on what is out there, and this article just seemed to be at odds with what I have seen.

Anyway, I sent the author a brief e-mail, saying that I thought his article didn’t match with my, admittedly limited, perception. He replied and said that he was just picking out what was relevant to his in the mainstream media, which is fair enough, but to me the article doesn’t differentiate between the types of blogs that are out there and instead suggests that the purpose of pretty much all of them is to keep the media and big business in check.

I think part of the appeal of blogging to many people is that it can be whatever the author wants it to be and criticising big business or appraising the accuracy of items in the news doesn’t necessarily feature all that high on a lot of people’s agendas.

However, I will leave you with some words from the article.

“[Blogs] are seen as the rantings and ravings either of the unbalanced or the tedious”.

This is probably difficult to argue with for my blog, but if you are also a blogger it is, of course, entirely untrue in your case...

No comments: