Friday, February 03, 2006

Signs of Winter

It is freezing in London at the moment. We have even had a little bit of snow. So presumably the Groundhog went back into his burrow yesterday deciding that Spring is actually not just round the corner. Last night I spent most of the evening traipsing about in the cold because I was moving the last of my furniture. It took a very long time as I was moving it to a friend’s house who lives about 15 miles away. My friend C was helping and we did start later than planned as I was helping someone at work prepare for an interview and ended up not leaving work until 6pm and then felt it would be rude not to C a bite to eat before we started. I finally made it home gone 11pm, but at least I am pretty much there now.

My tiredness mixed with being really cold, could explain why I tripped and fell over while I was walking up the escalator at the tube station this morning. You would think that I would be reasonably well practiced at how to use steps, even if they are moving, but seemingly not as practiced as I had thought. I have a somewhat sore knee now. However, at least my effort was not on the same scale as a woman I saw fall over on an escalator a couple of months ago. She somehow managed to fall over backwards and ended up lying on her back with her head pointing toward the bottom of the escalator. She was rather a large lady and her friend was trying to help her up but it proved quite a challenge. I was actually on the escalator travelling in the opposite direction so couldn’t really help, but as far as I know she didn’t get sucked into the mechanism at the top.

I have a fairly busy weekend ahead. Not least because it seems I am going to learn to play bridge tomorrow night. My landlady has a few people coming round and one of them is going to teach people how to play. She invited me to join them so I figured I would give it a go. I don’t actually even know the principle behind bridge let alone a basic idea of what it involves, but hopefully I will pick it up. I seem to think it’s the kind of game where you are meant to sip sherry though. I’d better dig out the twin set and pearls.

No comments: